Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 11-20-2009, 10:36 PM   #1
Krem
3" Exhaust

Krem is on a distinguished road
Default Radiators: Metal Vs Plastic

So after flushing my coolant a couple of weeks ago, it seems like my coolant gets hotter faster and the engine and coolant stay hotter longer when the car's been sitting, resting.. After enough driving, I guess I pushed whatever amount of radiator sealing gunk crap, that was keeping my coolant from leaking, out and now I finally see my coolant leaks, coming from the radiator.

Sooo... I need a new radiator... not sure what to buy, but I don't have a wealthy budget either.. I've found majority of the radiators out there are plastic, which I'm sure helps w/ weight.. but the car already weighs sooo much, what's a couple of extra pounds if the metal radiator will cool the fluid better... Soo... I'm left with two questions I just can't answer on my own...

1) What's difference between Plastic and Metal tanks? Which is better for desert driving?

2) Any specific brand or radiator model I should look at above all else? Cause otherwise I'll prob end up w/ a cheap generic metal radiator.

Edit:
Or maybe an alumninum one would be best?

Last edited by Krem; 11-21-2009 at 12:10 AM.
Krem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 01:28 AM   #2
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

The end tank is plastic, not the entire radiator. There is no real different in the cooling properties of stock replacements with plastic versus metal end tanks. I've seen cars almost as old as our with plastic end tanks in perfect shape; as long as the materials it's made of are decent, reliability isn't an issue.

I would go with a higher capacity radiator myself. If you're looking at spending $200 on an OEM replacement in aluminum I strongly recommend you at least spend another $100 and get a Koyo radiator for the 1JZ. You have to make two little brackets 1" x 2" out of some aluminum stock to mount the fan shroud securely, but it's not hard. The Koyo is the least expensive performance radiator that I know of and it performs very well; After that I think you're looking at $400 and up.
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 03:55 AM   #3
mk3teen
3" Exhaust

mk3teen is on a distinguished road

fyi, my supra came with an after market plastic radiator, it hadnt been moved much b4 i came along. the plastic cap couldnt with stand the heat of the engine and had to replace radiator, luckly found 2 for parts at great price.
mk3teen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 04:40 AM   #4
reydio
Intake

reydio is on a distinguished road

After rebuilding my top end, I got the all metal radiator and it takes awhile for my engine to reach operating temp when idling.

Mishimoto also makes an all aluminum rad for our MK3's. Someone also recommends CSF radiators which is also on the affordable side.

I got the Mishimoto and I have not installed it yet.....pretty soon.

Lots of selection out there.
reydio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 04:49 AM   #5
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Plastic end tanks are less susceptible to deterioration while sitting idle than brass. The same conditions under which a plastic end tank may fail (other than normal aging) play just as much of a role in the premature failure of radiators with metal end tanks. If you've had a failure of the plastic tank due to something other than vibration or impact there usually is a problem with the cooling system... excessive pressure or excessive temps due to coolant losses.

I do prefer all metal radiators though as they are more likely to survive a sharp impact or vibration damage due to hardened bushings.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
Old 01-11-2010, 05:33 AM   #6
mk3teen
3" Exhaust

hadnt had problems with the stock radiator till this week but thts also has to do with head gasket finally going out, not real problems with radiator, btw any tips gunna start taking her apart tomorrow, also im shopping for intercooler piping now tht im doing this, low budget on the piping.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:08 AM   #7
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

Upgraded IC piping? Personally, if the budget is limited I'd focus 100% on the HG... worry about how to spend what's left when you really know what's left.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

Tip Jar --->
Old 01-12-2010, 01:40 AM   #8
mk3teen
3" Exhaust

im mainly upgrading it cuz the stock piping is in horrible condition, it was brittle and cracked so i need some, i have funds for the head gasket just worried about the piping
Old 01-13-2010, 03:45 AM   #9
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk3teen View Post
im mainly upgrading it cuz the stock piping is in horrible condition, it was brittle and cracked so i need some, i have funds for the head gasket just worried about the piping
I just got an inexpensive kit from an ebay vendor. Just like this one... but I believe mine is all 2.5". Stock is 2" so I needed 4 reducers and had to buy a 45? silicone coupler. It took a little playing around to get it all together, but it's nice thick walled piping and good quality couplers and clamps. I also ordered a couple extra clamps.

The extra parts I ordered from siliconeintakes.com... I've found them to be VERY reliable and very inexpensive.

Tip Jar --->
Old 01-13-2010, 04:54 AM   #10
mk3teen
3" Exhaust

all i did was replace with a used oem and bought brand new hoses fr5om dealership, cost bout 100 bones for both hoses so im not lookin to mess with radiator, only maybe add electric fan now tht im changing the hg.