Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum!

Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/)
-   MKIII Supra (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/mkiii-supra/)
-   -   0-60 time (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/mkiii-supra/1433-0-60-time.html)

f00g00 08-04-2005 12:40 PM

Hello,
I'm new to the forum here. I have a 1987 NA 7MGE M/T for the last 7 years, am currently on my 4th engine, (all bhg) but no matter which engine has been in, my 0-60 times are all weak. According to several 0-60 sites I should be around 7.9 0-60 and 16.0 1/4 mile. well Ive allways been between 11 and 12 0-60 and never tried 1/4 mile time. Its embarrasing when I can barely beat a Tercel.
Ive done the AFM mod have the K&N standard filter and thats about it for mods. The tag in the door says the weight is 4460 pounds, add some for tools and stereo upgrades.
I'm an american working in Kuwait so that is why its cheaper to put in a second hand motor than have the shady mechanics change the gasket. The last time I tried that he slightly overlooked the hole in the number 6 piston.
Any ideas why Im almost twice the recommended time?

daiagaru2 08-04-2005 04:46 PM

is it hot in kewait,the origional test on this vehicle stock was done at sea level or slightly below sea level,and at an optimal 60-70 degree f .if you are opperating this vehicle in a very hot environment then you will suffur from a hot air charge entering your intake thus taking power from the engine.if an 87' supra weighs 4460lbs see if there may be hidden gold in it say 1000lbs worth.this vehicle cannot weigh that much.my old 87' n/a supra weighed about 3500 stock.my other suggestion on why your so slow is that maybe these second hand motors are all garbage.sorry to say it but i did a 1jz-gte conversion to get away from the problems of the 7m.however built correctly(prefferably built by your own hands so that no one can b.s you on what work has been done to the engine and the condition it is in)is very dependable.i can't stand paid mechanics most of them are are "parts changers"most can't troubleshoot without holding the diagnostic machines hand(thats why i've struggled to learn to do it all myself),after all if you want a job done right,you got to do it yourself.have a great day,laters!

f00g00 08-04-2005 05:42 PM

Yes its hot over here. Right now its about 107 at 8:30 PM in the heat of the day the heat is around 115 to 120+, humidity is around 10-15%, altitude is pretty much at sea level where I work its at 414'.
I havn't physically weighed the car, just going off the GVWR, which is the max load I guess, on the door tag.
I guess I could get it weighed here, with all the trucks going west to Iraq I should be able to find somewhere that has scales though there isn't any weight enforcement like in the USA.
The motors are used engines from Japan so all should have less that 100K.
I always check compression and its always good. The engines from japan have a different fuel injection system the mechanics say so my old system allways gets swapped over. Im almost at the end at getting motors from japan cause there just aren't any more 7MGE engines coming over cause they are so old. Lots of lexus engines here though. Turbo engines are scarce here because of the heat and sand blowing around. I was thinking of doing a 7M-GTE swap after I go on vacation back to Phoenix area and get a wire harness and ECU, but the 7M-GTE is even scarcer here. Just about everything I get for the car gets brought here in my suitcase. Next trip is also headers from Summit made by Pace Setter, don't know how much improvement after them though. Also might try fan mod with dual flex-a-lites.

daiagaru2 08-04-2005 06:11 PM

if you want a dependable and much more powerful engine the 1jz-gte is a fantastic candidate.the 7m's either turbo or not cannot hold a candle to the durrability and performance the 1jz.if you are going to do a seriose swap in the future,make it worth yout time and money.i have done so because i got tired of the 7m run around,and let me tell you it is worth every hard earned cent i spent and worth all the blood and sweat also.of course it is alot more involved of a swap.i know everything about what is entailed in a 1jz-gte swap because i've been there.if you get going in that dirrection let me know and i'll help you any way i can.you say lexus stuf is more previlent,your in luck because the 1j was put in many toyota soarers ,lexus sc300,they are the same thing.yep all that heat will sap yer engine power,bummer.hope this helps.

f00g00 08-04-2005 08:57 PM

Thanks for the info. I doubt seriously I'd be able to find that engine over here, the lexus motors are not turbos that come here let alone twin turbo.
I guess ill just have to make do with what I have and ask the engine shops here if they can get one from japan as a special order with trannie and ECU with loom.
Thanks for your help.

daiagaru2 08-05-2005 12:59 PM

well good luck with your supra,i hope everything works out well for you the, 7m engines are more affordable, more affordable to upgrade, easier to source parts for,so i cannot argue with whatever descision you make.let me know if you need help in the future.take her easy,laters!

suprra_girl 08-07-2005 11:37 AM

7m's are just as durable i mite add

ppl whinge coz they blow up their 7m's coz they can't maintain them

they whinge again when they blow up their 1jz

reason...

damn maintenance

oh yea.. the 1jz got a 50hp head start on the 7m woot de woo

at 500whp it is suggested to upgrade the rods... being a 91mm stroke they do tend to get weakened and are the first thing to go when getting high hp
1jz's don't throw rods as easy being only 86mm stroke

mod for mod both engines make pretty much the same hp

7M POWAH FOR LIFE!!

daiagaru2 08-07-2005 01:12 PM

yep the short stroke of the 1jz saves it from as much friction as the 7m's longer stoke,the 1jz's shorter stroke slows the piston speed ,lowering piston friction,making the engine more durrable for higher reving racing conditions.7m's are good engines but with their longer stroke ,produce more piston speed thus more friction.this construction makes the 7m a cut below the 1jz.not only does the 1jz beat the 7m with power numbers(50 hp is alot when twins spool twice as fast as single turbo,and when you don't have that 50 hp that the other guy has you get better at reading his bumper stickers)1jz-gte has a better oiling system than the 7m-gte too.when building a high horse power engine the 1jz also has the the 7m beat with it's bottom end construction,you will have to upgrade the stock toyota internals of the 7m to make it dependable at 400+ hp.this is not so for the 1jz,as you say the 1jz rods fail at around 500-600 hp.toyota raleased the supra type r with the 1jz-gte for a reason,it's better than the 7m,they did not put the type r out with the 7m because it is not as good as the 1jz,if it was as good as the 1jz they would have installed the 7m engine in the type r.after all a type r is only deserving of the best technology that the manufacturer can produce.i also own a 7m-gte,have blown it up several times,have built it up several times too ,so i'm able to make an informed descision.the 7m engine i build is strong as hell and maintinence on my vehicles is second to none as i'm a racer and change all fluids(and anything else that needs repair) after any hard driving is done.maintinence is always one of the limmiting factors of any engine.my 7m engine is my 1jz's replacement when engine work is needed and i'll say it is a damn fine temp,like having joe montana as the quarterback,he gets injured,and his replacement is john elway.there is no way to loose i use them as a team.there are always cons though,it;s hard as hell to find reasonably priced parts(if you can find them at all) for the 1jz.

suprra_girl 08-07-2005 01:28 PM

7m's can run 400whp all day everyday...

upgrading of rods is required around the 500whp mark (they don't necessarily break then but it's recommended to upgrade)
1j's can handle around 700whp apparently... then require upgrading

there were two 7m's at supras invade las vegas... one has a fully stock 7m bottom end... 700hp + 70shot of nos later.. gee its still going... yea i know.. that's just one lol (well that i've heard of)

oh... um.. it's not a honduh

it's a Turbo R... and i believe you are talking about this...

http://www.supra.co.nz/john/turbor1.jpg

http://www.supra.co.nz/john/turbor2.jpg

hmmm... ur a racer.. i like to think of myself as a car enthusiast ;)

50hp @ the engine... and while your turbos are falling off top end i'm still a goin :P

suprra_girl 08-07-2005 01:31 PM

f00g00: sorry for hijacking your thread

LET THE FLAMEWAR BEGIN ;)

(and lets keep it in this one eh)