Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum!

Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/)
-   MKIII Supra (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/mkiii-supra/)
-   -   Why a Supra? Why a Mk.III? (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/mkiii-supra/14292-why-a-supra-why-a-mk-iii.html)

Cutback 07-01-2009 05:46 AM

Why a Supra? Why a Mk.III?

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and am hoping to buy a mk.III as soon as by the end of the week. :) I was just wondering what is the reason you all have a mk.III Supra? Because it's fast, looks good, fun to work on? Is owning a supra worth it? Why the supra when there are Zs, STi, evos etc.?

I've done all the research on the supra, and 99% sure it a car I would love to own, just wanted to hear why you all own it.

Little about me: I'm from Denver, finishing up undergrad schooling. I currently drive a '92 accord that was the family car for a long time. I hope a supra could be a car that I could work on and make mine. Hoping the one I am looking at is a good daily driver, that I can mess around with at my leisure and not when it breaks down on the highway.

P.S. If this is a stupid post, or if I put it in the wrong section, tell me and I'll get rid of it.

mirage83 07-01-2009 06:32 AM

The MkIII came out right after I graduated HS, always wanted one but didn't have the money for it then. Forgot about them for a while (life and kids got in the way), then kinda fell into the one I have now a couple of years ago.

They can be expensive to restore and/or maintain, but they're pretty sharp cars when they're running right.

supradrift 07-01-2009 09:58 PM

idk if i speak for everybody else but i dont like awd and to me it is a sick looking car with a lot of potential is the reason i own mine

mikeoc1 07-02-2009 02:37 AM

Similar story for me as for Mirage, when I was in high school they were hot cars, loaded and way ahead of their time. Couldnt have one then so bought one now. A great classic sport car imo. Not the fastest by modern standards. you didnt see many in the 80s and definitely not now. Mine is a second car and it has been expensive to return to dependability, but I enjoy the process.

poboy69 07-02-2009 03:46 AM

AWD+BOOST=SEX:dance:
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y20...7/IMG_0737.jpg

But seriously, you can get an MKIII cheap and with a bit of money and luck get some decent power out of it. I got one because of the swap factor and now going 2JZ=SEX:naughty:
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y20...honeUpload.jpg

don't get me wrong though, my old 04 STI was a blast to drive, but something breaking every week + a $500 per month payment wasn't fun at all!!

Kevin 07-02-2009 06:08 AM

i got mine cuz its the nicest pre 1987 car i could find within my budget. pre 1987 cuz i dont need emissions :bigthumb:

Grandavi 07-02-2009 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin (Post 70982)
i got mine cuz its the nicest pre 1987 car i could find within my budget. pre 1987 cuz i dont need emissions :bigthumb:

I got my 88 MKIII solely because I couldnt find a good MKII until after I bought it. I hunted down everywhere I could think of. All the Supras I found were crap, poorly maintained rust buckets... and then I saw mine..

Of course.. afterwards.. I found these forums, and a whole host of MKII's and other MKIII's for cheaper..

ah well.. I still love mine!

My wife has grown attached to it too... she says it looks mean when Im coming up the road .. lol.

All I can tell you ... after driving Honda accords and oddysseys for 10+ years.. I wanted to treat myself.. and I have always loved the Supra. To me.. its the ultimate car (without shelling out 10's of thousands that is).
And.. I have never had so many people try to race me.. its almost continuous... lol.

jcastro 07-03-2009 11:53 PM

I got a supra as my first car accidently i whent in to buy a 86 corolla and they sold it by the time i got there then i saw a supra n ended geting it i had to sell it to get cash for some fam. problems so i was bumbed but now i have another one and its a work in progress

Chromemoly 07-05-2009 03:05 AM

Handling Baby

Despite being a tad heavy, Supra's grip the road. Nothing more exhilarating than carving mountain roads in a MK-lll

Grandavi 07-05-2009 06:23 PM

I've been thinking about this for a bit (after my earlier reply). I took a good hard look at my Supra. Its in decent shape.. the interior is almost excellent (20 years of wear.. it has held up very well), the body is great except for the drivers side rear wheel well (which is rotting), and the driver train is Toyota (which basically means.. if it aint dead it runs).

I get comments on the car everywhere, everybody with a car over 200 hp seems to want to race it (so far only been beat by a STI), and it just feels good to drive.

Then.. I look at a new car. They are far more comfortable, probably more reliable, better fuel economy, similar power (stock), but... 20,000.00 + for a good one.

If I took 20k and put it in my MKIII, it would be about 450 HP (and that is as much as you need for a road.. lol... ) the body would be very close to perfect and would still have the distinction of being a MKIII.

So.. finally.. I bought the Supra because I wanted a Supra. With all its beauty and problems etc... I am still very happy I bought it. So.. bottom line.. I am happy I own one. Thats about as much as you can ask for I think... are you happy with what you drive?

Also.. I know Mustang owners.. and they have to work on their cars constantly (no idea why). Mine is stock, can beat most of them as is (if thats important) and I do NOT have to tweak it unless I want to.

87mk111 07-07-2009 02:29 PM

I bought my mark 3 for 2500 after my integra got stolen. I paid cash for it, i have not regretted that decision ever. I love the Supra a lot. It can burn the tires like a muscle car, but still gets decent gas mileage. Plus since mine is kinda beat up, it makes a good sleeper.

mk3teen 07-10-2009 03:21 PM

let me start off by saying im 17 and i am the very proud and lucky second owner of an 89 supra turbo. the first time i saw oone was at my aunts house in houston. i was only about 10 years old. i instantly fell in love with it. adding to my encouragement, my uncle owned an mk2 and a freind of the family had an 87.i always told myself i would have one but never really beleived it. i have had it for about 2 months now. its eveerything i ever wanted it to be. smooth, fast, and its a real prescence on the road. if u have a shot at owning one, dont pass it up. i was asked if i would sell it the first time i took to school, but the only thing i would give it up for is an mk4. then i would save up and get another mk3 jeje.

toshryno34 09-22-2014 08:31 PM

Lots of fun

I have an 89 MkIII non-turbo and it is fantastic. I heard some of the turbos of the 7M-GTE engines were crap due to how old they are. However Supra is a name in itself. These cars have been discontinued since 1999. In my eyes, I view it as a classic 80's car that is still a top-of-the-line Toyota. Back in the day they were hard to find and they are even more rare now.

Traded a 91 celica for it. got a great deal on it and all of my friends love it!! sure its not as fast or as light as other newer 200hp cars. but ill take anything 80's in a race with confidence! ;) The newer mkIV's smoke the mkIIIs (my neighbor has a 1994 mk4 and we are now awesome friends lol) but just having a Supra makes me feel cool :bouncy:

They are fun to work on (HUGE engine bay especially in my non-turbo) and run like champs, at least mine does. I have 205,000 on it with a centerforce clutch, original trans and engine, and I can still drop 5 to 3rd and depending on the speed 5 to 2nd.

I recommend buying one if you see that it isn't rusted and well-maintained. They are rare plus youll love the targa top if it has one!!!!

S-mk3-B 10-01-2014 07:37 PM

Being a Supra owner kind of just gives you a special place/title that not everyone has! A special characteristic of the mk3s are that they're technically the first Supras for the the mk2s were still Celica Supras and later on splitting into they're own cars, with the mk3 Supra. I love mine cause for one they're pretty rare and also cause I was able to hunt one down with almost the full package (turbo trim, targa top, TEMs, original paint, and etc... They definitely need some TLC, but the results and driving experience speak for themselves!

Bru 11-05-2014 01:42 AM

I have been driving the Supra for 18 years. Spent a lot of time and money on maintenance and repairs, but I can't find a car I like better. They are great when the work and a pain when they are sick. Not an economy car by any means. Its a feeling of quality and style when you drive.

supraheelfan 11-13-2014 04:28 AM

I own a couple of mk3 supra's and trust me they are a money pit most of the time. That being said I've had my good supra for almost 10 years and for some reason I cannot figure out, I'm still modding the damn thing. The car is really nothing but potential waiting to be unleashed. And I do agree with whoever said that no matter where I'm at or how many times i drive it, somebody is always trying to race me!? No matter the chances of either car. But owning an 80's supra of any kind will turn you into a backyard mechanic very quickly (if you don't have money to shell out every other month). I seen the original post of this thread and it was over 5 years ago and the guy could've bought his mk3 but it's of no matter now just wanted to throw my two cents in since other people are.