Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum!

Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/)
-   MKIII Supra (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/mkiii-supra/)
-   -   I Need Brake Help! (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/mkiii-supra/13898-i-need-brake-help.html)

SupraSerious 04-30-2009 11:34 PM

I Need Brake Help!

I have installed new calipers, pads, parking brake, and drilled and slotted rotors from brakemasters off of ebay. I'm starting to wonder if it was a bad decision because, now as i drive, a screech, not like a pad rubbing, but maybe metal on metal starts and stops, and increases in frequency the faster i go. I dont understand how, but after talking to multiple shops, no one has given me a clear answer. The screech may not been directly involved with the brakes, but it is coming from the back of the car, and i doubt the changing of parts and this annoying noise are just a coincidence...... So any ideas on how to stop it would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

Busted Knuckles 05-01-2009 12:16 AM

Which brakes did you replace?

:confused: I'm trying to figure it out, but the list of parts, like parking brake, seems to suggest the rear. If so, you need to disassemble the entire thing, and look for some evidence of rubbing. I do know the rear parking brake uses an oddly bent retainer pin for the rear shoe to provide clearance for the parking brake lever. If this was installed wrong, it could rub on anything rotating. Also, did you forget to use the washer on the caliper bracket bolt? If it i sticking out too far from the bearing knuckle, it could be rubbing the rotor.

Trust me, if you can hear it, it left evidence. There should be some sign of rubbing on something. A complete teardown again will reveal it.

mirage83 05-01-2009 12:30 AM

One of the dust shields on my car was bent and rubbing against the rotor when I first changed my brakes. If I were you I'd pull the rear wheels off and check to see if one of those shields has gotten bent. If that's the problem you'll definately see some indication of it on the inside half of your rotor where it's making contact. Then just bend the shield back out of the way (they're pretty flimsy).

Hope it's that simple for you.

SupraSerious 05-01-2009 04:03 PM

Thanks so much, i took a day off this weekend so i'll be able to lift it up and check out everything, I am hoping its just the shield tho!

mirage83 05-01-2009 10:54 PM

Hope it's the shield as well. Otherwise you're going to have to go through the motions with the entire system like Knuckles suggested.

SupraSerious 05-03-2009 01:43 AM

I just noticed that they don't squeak while im going in reverse, no matter what speed, so if that leads to any other conclusions it would be helpful... And my friend (hes a mechanic) thinks that the squelers might just be loose or a little off/bent, so i'll try that too... sound right?

dunewarz 05-06-2009 06:30 AM

I've had the same problem before and it was due to the brake pin that holds the brake pads in place. It popped out and started to scrap the rotor causing an 1cm deep gouge on my rotor. I'd suggest rechecking everything concerning the brake pads and rotors.

SupraSerious 05-06-2009 07:16 PM

Turns out that the bracket that holds the caliper in place is rubbing on the rotor. I have no idea how to fix it, I tried washers to change the spacing but it offered no help, I also tried some light fileing, and maybe with a grinder i can make things work but idk.... might be time to take it to a shop.... :dunno:

mirage83 05-06-2009 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SupraSerious (Post 69474)
Turns out that the bracket that holds the caliper in place is rubbing on the rotor. I have no idea how to fix it, I tried washers to change the spacing but it offered no help, I also tried some light fileing, and maybe with a grinder i can make things work but idk.... might be time to take it to a shop.... :dunno:

Uh, I'd hold up on the modification to the caliper bracket for a moment. Was the bracket rubbing before you changed the rotors? Where exactly on the rotor is it rubbing?

If everything was assembled correctly with the proper size rotor installed it shouldn't rub now if it didn't rub before. If it's rubbing now I'd take a real close look at your rotor, make sure it's the right size for this application, especially if it's rubbing on the outside edge of the rotor. If that's where it's contacting the rotor, you've got the wrong size rotor on there.

BTW, drilled brake rotors for our car FTL. And Brakemasters doesn't have the best Ebay rating in the world.

SupraSerious 05-06-2009 10:45 PM

Yea, just the last mm or two on the end of the rotor.... but I think i've found the solution, put stock out back again lol... I originally got these rotors because im broke, they were cheap, and my front rotors were badly warped, so the back ones should be fine if they arent pitted by now. It'll look.... intresting... but o well, I'll just get new ones later....