Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum!

Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/)
-   MKIII Supra (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/mkiii-supra/)
-   -   Clutch & Pressure Plate—Interchangeable b/t years and W55/W58? (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/mkiii-supra/13596-clutch-and-pressure-plate-interchangeable-b-t-years-and-w55-w58.html)

jhealey1967 03-18-2009 11:19 AM

Clutch & Pressure Plate—Interchangeable b/t years and W55/W58?

Hopefully this is not offensive to Supra owners, but I figured there was no better place to ask than a group of Supra experts. I am putting a W55 or W58 transmission out of a Supra, Celica, or Toyota pick-up truck, behind a Jaguar V12. I have a custom bellhousing, but need to determine what clutch to use. I am also looking for a suitable gearbox; I have looked at a few locally that I found on Craigslist for sale, from various vehicles (Supras, Celicas...W55's, 58's, etc.) and have noticed that the gear shift lever comes out in very different places on every single one I've looked at. I understand that some come out exactly 18" from the front of the gearbox mounting (where the bellhousing mates up), and this is what I need for my conversion. Does anyone know which gearbox, and from which year/model, has the gearshift lever up close, right above the shifter lid? Here is an example of what I am looking for:

http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/102/heassy8.jpg

Also, regarding the interchangability of clutch and pressure plates...Will all the various years of the "W" transmissions interchange in terms of the fitment of clutch/pressure plate? I imagine the most important aspect here is the splines on the input shaft. Are they all the same? I notice that as far as part numbers are concerned, there is a great variety of specified clutches and pressure plates between the years and models, however I would suppose that is due to different clamping forces of the pressure plates, dependent on the torque of the engine it is mated to. I am considering a clutch and pressure plate from a 87-92 Supra turbo model, as I think it would be well suited the the V12, which has similar torque, horsepower, and redline specs as the turbo Supra. If I were to use a transmission out of, let's say, an '84 Toyota pick-up truck, or an '89 Celica, would the Supra turbo clutch work with said transmission?

Any advice or insights would be greatly appreciated.

Quint 03-19-2009 04:37 AM

http://users.tpg.com.au/users/loats/...gearboxes.html

If its a gbox from a 4wd truck, you wont be able to use it, the gearset is differant (W56) and it has a transmission casing bolted to the back.
You want a cressida W57/5 (just differant gearsets), they are midmounted. If you wanted to run a 58 a mid mounted shifter should be able to be fitted.

As for C/Ps and P/Ps they are all the same throughout the W5* series boxes all are 22spline (90% sure on the spline count), i advise to use a 9" hilux clutch, its more heavy duty than the supra but this depends on what flywheel you will be using.(i have 2 hilux a supra and two rwd celicas all running the same clutch setup, i buy clutchs in bulk, lol).

Not sure on what you mean by a 89 celica box? as far as i'm aware they run a C5* gearbox which is not appropriate for your situation.

What flywheel will you be running? If its a jag one, I'm not sure if the bolt pattern of the toyota P/P will match or if jag put out a c/p with a 22 spline count, you'd have to research that.

jhealey1967 03-19-2009 07:36 AM

Thanks for the info Quint, I really appreciate it. The website is helpful as well.

Do you know if a gearbox from a 2wd truck would work, like a 2wd Hilux/Tacoma?

Do you know if the Cressida is the only car that had the short 18" shifter to bellhousing spacing?

I'm running a Fidanza flywheel made for the Jag. I imagine I'll just have to have the Toyota pressure plate re-drilled by my local machine shop to match up to the studs and bolt holes on the Fidanza flywheel. Hopefully it isn't any more complex than that.

Quint 03-19-2009 08:21 PM

Tranmissions casing = transfer case (typo)

The rwd hilux i'd imagine would use the W56 without the transfer case, best to pop the bonnet on one and check the vin plate, no idea on tacomas, we don't get them down this way.

I'd try the cresta, chaser and mark 2, i suspect that they all run mid-mounted shifters. But you can always cut out your dash to suit a differant shifter position, just double check that it doesn't foul on the dash panel/head deck (seen it happen) so its usually better to go with a slightly more rear mounted shifter rather than forward.

Note: cresside uses a shifter 510mm from front face to shifter bridge (20").

W5* gearboxes are pigs to find at the best of times (i've stock piled 4 :D). Its best to buy one when you first see it (at the right price of course) and try to match it to your needs rather rather than looking for a specefic shifter position. They are a very easy item to re-sell, so you never lose money on one (unless you pay way to much for it)!

Good luck.

jhealey1967 03-21-2009 09:34 AM

I found the perfect gearbox at a local salvage yard. It was marked as having been pulled from an 80's Supra. The gear shift lever was exactly 18" from the front of the transmission (behind the bellhousing, that is). It came with a 2 month warranty too.

Last question—What is the largest diameter Toyota clutch that will work with the W5* transmissions, i.e. 21 spline/1 3/16" diameter disc spline? So far, the largest I have found is for the Tacoma (which is sold as the Hilux in other parts of the world), some of which measure 9 7/8" diameter. I've also heard that some Daihatsu commercial trucks used the W5* transmissions, and have large diameter heavy duty clutches, but I have not been able to confirm this. I found a Centerforce brand clutch made for the Supra, with a 21 spline input, put the input diameter was listed as smaller than the standard 1 3/16".

Thanks again for the help.

Quint 03-25-2009 08:00 AM

Max i've seen is 9 1/2".

Size doesn't matter, if you are concerned about slippage, just uprate the pressure plated to one rated for higher clamping pressures and put brass buttons in your C/P (any engineering shop should be able to do this) or just get a more heavy duty clutch, there are many options out there for uprating supra clutches.