Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum!

Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/)
-   MKIII Supra (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/mkiii-supra/)
-   -   7mgte to a 1jz or 2jz (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/mkiii-supra/11696-7mgte-to-a-1jz-or-2jz.html)

will fight for food 06-27-2008 12:00 AM

7mgte to a 1jz or 2jz

ok i just got a 87 supra turbo it is a piece of crap but the body is in good shape just needs paint and a fuel pump i think but the guy said he drove the crap out of it and now it smokes and i dont know the first thing about a toyota i am a honda guy but i couldnt pass up this deal so i want to fix this motor and eventually swap it for a 1jz or 2jz so witch one is the easyest to just drop in without changing the ecu and trans i will change the mounts if i have to any ideas?:help:

Chambers 06-27-2008 01:52 AM

Well first off, I'm going to take a wild guess and say that guy you bought it from fried the rings from revving the piss out of it.

Second, there is tons of info on 1JZ and 2JZ engine swaps out there, but I'll shed some light on it for you. There is no such thing as a easy swap, unlike a Honda where all you need for a swap is engine mounts and a harness adapter to run a diffrent ECU, a 1JZ and 2JZ swap will need a custom harness in your 87. 1986.5 to early 89 Supras' all have the same engine and body electrical harnesses, from late 89 to 92 the harnesses changed. The 1JZ-GTE was introduced into the JDM models during the latter years, so the 1JZ ECU will not be compatible with your 87 harness. Since the 2JZ came from the MKIV Supra neither early or latter harnesses will work.

Next, if you choose to do a 1JZ or 2JZ swap, you will need front cross member assembly and engine mounts from a 89+ car, the pre 89 cars have diffrent cross members and engine mounts that will not be compatible.

As for transmissions, the NA MKIII Supra came with the W58, the turbo models came with the R154 (7M-GTE and 1JZ-GTE), but both also had the same 4 spd auto. The MKIV turbo model came with the Getrag 6 spd, the 2JZ-GTE will bolt up to a R154 with the correct bell housing.

As you can see, this can get real confusing and complicated real quick, and I have bearly touched the surface. In my opinion you should pull the engine you have now, fix it, re-build it, and keep it, you can get plenty of power out of a 7M. And all the money you would spend in getting a 1JZ or 2JZ swapped in, you could refurbish your suspension and have a turbo car that handles like it was new.

Starting with a turbo car is always a plus, but make sure if you take the time to build a engine, don't cheap out on anything, a Supra is a diffrent breed, it wont survive on cheap parts.

Hope this helps, good luck.

supramacist 06-27-2008 05:17 AM

Gee.

Thought maybe I could add something here but chambers is on point.

will fight for food 06-27-2008 04:16 PM

thanks alot that really helps i think i will rebuild the one i have and do it right to get the most out of it that i can

will fight for food 06-27-2008 04:51 PM

ok now how much horse power / boost can the stock bottom end hold i just want a fast car that is an everyday driver like rebuild the 7mgte and a bigger turbo blowoff valve boost control you know that stuff

Chambers 07-02-2008 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by will fight for food (Post 60289)
ok now how much horse power / boost can the stock bottom end hold i just want a fast car that is an everyday driver like rebuild the 7mgte and a bigger turbo blowoff valve boost control you know that stuff

I have heard of people holding decent amounts of power with the stock bottom end, sorry I don't have a number for you, but it would probably be a good idea to put new bearings and piston rings in it before turning the boost up.

You can make good power on the stock CT-26, fast enough for a daily, the money for a new turbo could go towards a better rebuild and even to rebuild your current turbo, thats just my opinion on a new turbo.

Now, if you plan to turn up the boost, new turbo or not, your going to hit fuel cut very quickly, so you will need to invest in some nice A/F controllers, MAFT Pro is a good one to start with.

will fight for food 07-03-2008 02:29 PM

ok now i have ran into a problem my gas tank is to rusted out to clean now i cant find anyone who can even get a gas tank not even the dealer does anyone no where i could find one

Chambers 07-03-2008 03:43 PM

Call your local junkyards and salvage yards, they may have a Supra there, but you may run into the same problem, the up side is that they will remove the gas tank before putting the car out for pickins. If you cant find one, I may be able to see what the local yards have, I know last week I saw a 89 with the tank in the hatch.

Other than that you can look into buying a aftermarket fuel tank, the squarish aluminum ones.

Good luck.

toneloc87 2 07-03-2008 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chambers (Post 60448)
I have heard of people holding decent amounts of power with the stock bottom end, sorry I don't have a number for you, but it would probably be a good idea to put new bearings and piston rings in it before turning the boost up.

You can make good power on the stock CT-26, fast enough for a daily, the money for a new turbo could go towards a better rebuild and even to rebuild your current turbo, thats just my opinion on a new turbo.

Now, if you plan to turn up the boost, new turbo or not, your going to hit fuel cut very quickly, so you will need to invest in some nice A/F controllers, MAFT Pro is a good one to start with.

do not rebuild your old turbo. huge waste of money. they dont last long and your better off buying a new one. suprasport is coming out with a stock replacement turbo with install kit and i think they said eithier a 425hp or/ 475hp. it probably cost like $900

Chambers 07-03-2008 10:40 PM

Yea, its always better to have a professional re-build a turbo, or just buy a new one. I forgot about that kit from suprasport, that is a nice kit, I think it comes with the upgraded trim so you can pump out more horses, it seems worth the money if thats what you are looking for.

will fight for food 07-04-2008 04:53 PM

i am shopping for an MHG which is the best or should i just get the thickest one they make in a stopper

toneloc87 2 07-04-2008 05:08 PM

i got the greddy 2.0mm because they had to mill the head twce but it all depends on how much metal is takin off the block and head

Chambers 07-04-2008 06:36 PM

I would go for a 2mm anyway for a turbo application, the 1.2mm will up your compression a little bit but I cant see it holding up to higher psi. As toneloc87 2 said, it dose depend on how much metal is taken off the block and head as well.

My preference is HKS for a MHG, but its really up to you.

Good luck.

will fight for food 07-04-2008 08:40 PM

well when i talkek to the guy who is going to work my head he said that he wouldnt be taking enough off to make a differance so should i get the stock size or is the 2mm the way to go also witch is better stopper or bead i am over my head here need :help:

j3pz 07-05-2008 12:14 AM

if he didnt take off any metal, then a gasket of the same thickness as stock will do (1.2mm?). you can get a titanmotorsports mhg, a cometic mhg, hks mhg. dont forget to tell the engine builder to use arp headstuds and get the Roughness Average on the block under 30 or the mhg wont seal right. also, there are shops you can buy upgraded ct26's, alot of people like a 57 trim.

as for the bottom end, i believe there was a guy on sm that hit 700hp on stock internals. however on a daily driven motor that hasnt been rebuilt to spec wont take that abuse, id say maybe 350-400hp at the most and i wouldnt recommend running a setup for this on a weathered motor for very long.

will fight for food 07-05-2008 08:01 PM

300hp sounds good to me for atleast awhile then i will prob go higher my plans are to order a rebuild kit they got them on ebay for like 350 bucks and replace every worn part like the fans belt that sort of stuff while i am doing that send the head and block off for cleaning after that its MHG and ARP bolts and a boost controller also gonna throw on a lexus AFM with bigger injectors any idea and what kind of injectors to use and what is a good size i herd so much bad things about the venom 550cc

j3pz 07-06-2008 08:29 PM

ya venoms are bad. with a lexus afm you need 550's and have heard good things about RCs

1989 8secmkiii owner 07-08-2008 10:51 PM

7MGE to 1jz

i got a 89 supra 7mge, and i am planning to drop in 1 jz pretty soon, so i was wondering that do i have to replace cross member or what . Additionally how max we can take 1jz to hp wise. with stock motor but after market turbo and front mount inter cooler from grdy.

Chambers 07-08-2008 11:46 PM

Well you have to determine if your car is early or late 89, if its early then you will need a cross member, if its late 89 then your set. The early 89 has a square engine mount, the late 89 has round engine mount.

1989 8secmkiii owner 07-09-2008 02:57 AM

7mge to 1 jz

i m kinda new to supra, so can u refer me some pic. thanks.

will fight for food 07-09-2008 10:31 PM

ok so i just got my supra stared today after replacing the fuel pump and i had boost for about 30 seconds then i wasnt reading any boost and couldnt hear the turbo should i buy another stock turbo or get it rebuilt or upgrade witch is more cost effiect

SideWinderGX 07-09-2008 10:39 PM

Aaahhh...alabama....explains a few things to me.

Thanks for giving us details about what else you hear, why you don't have boost, how it drives, how it idles, if it leaks, if anything is disconnected....among any other useful information. It's so easy to diagnose your car, hundreds of miles away, while you say 'its broken, fix mah cahr'.

Go look everything over, tell us what you find. After, go drive the car, and tell us what you feel. And don't say your steering wheel.

j3pz 07-09-2008 11:47 PM

sounds like a boost leak. search the online tsrm for vacuum diagrams and make sure they are all hooked up on your car. also check the ic pipes

will fight for food 07-10-2008 04:07 PM

first i didnt ask you to fix anything i asked about rebuilding or buying a turbo but since you asked it wont idle and i sound like it has an echaust leak it idled for about 3 min then died and when i drove it it ran weak till high RPM's then it was like a burst of speed throwing me in the seat and a cloud of smoke poured out the back so today i am doing plugs and wires and checking the compression and for leaks

will fight for food 07-10-2008 08:03 PM

so i pulled the plugs out and they were covered in oil and i was only getting 20 psi on 2 cylinders and 170psi on the rest so i just thought i would buy a new motor would any 87 to 92 turbo motor fit or is the a differance

Chambers 07-10-2008 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by will fight for food (Post 60804)
... so today i am doing plugs and wires and checking the compression and for leaks

Good to hear!

Do it and then check everything twice. Spark plugs on a turbo are not as chalenging as the NA. Take a bunch of pics of before, during, and after you do this, that way you know what it looks like to put it all back together. I replaced the spark plugs and wires on mine with NGK, I love them, they look good and are very nice. The wires looked like they were from the junkyard, check this pic out, these are the plugs that came out: -NASTY-

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/6820/img0532lk9.jpg

will fight for food 07-10-2008 11:30 PM

so now i am shopping for a new 7mgte for under 1,000 hitting every junk yard i can find that has one that runs and dont smoke i found one with no head of a 90 model i guess i can get my head worked and it will fit right i guess this is what you get when you buy a $500 car at least the body is in good shape with little rust and no dents any ideas

Chambers 07-11-2008 11:14 AM

Yea that could work, have a machine shop take a look at the bottom rotating assembly to make sure you get the correct bearings and rings.

will fight for food 07-11-2008 04:03 PM

i am going to send the head off to make sure it is still good so am not stuck with a good block but a bad head

1989 8secmkiii owner 07-20-2008 01:56 AM

7mgte to 1jz

chamber, i got new 1jz today for my 89 supra and i was just wondering that what changes do i need to make to my car's speedometer and to other body parts.:x:. its pre 89 with square mount.

Chambers 07-20-2008 01:09 PM

The 1JZ came with the R154 tranny, so you speedo cable will work. Start doing some research on 1JZ harness and computers, compared to your pre 89 harness.

All the info you need is out there, my advice would be to do a lot of research before you start tearing stuff down, that way you have all the knowledge about what you are doing before you do it.

You can buy engine mount adapter for your pre 89 that will allow the JZ engines to bolt up with your cross member, I my self would not completely trust the engine mounts without the 89+ cross member.

Hope this helps, Good luck.

1989 8secmkiii owner 07-21-2008 07:44 PM

1 jz

hey guyz check this out, i gotta custom made motor mounts for my pre 89 mkiii for 1 jz swap and i dont have to replace cross member. and one of my friend swaped 1jz using those motor mounts, they work. i got those from BIC performance.com:dance::gotnos:

tsupra89 07-26-2008 10:50 PM

the stock bottom end ive heard will hold up to 900 hp if in good conidtion the bottom end is all forged internals. very strong the only thing is the tranny wont hold as much and the engine can so ull have to beef it up. second the hg on 7m's kinda suck u can run 16 max psi on the stock hg but u might blow it eventually but no worrys i have a 7m and im boosting 11 and i havent had a problem except a oil leak coming from where the distributor was from the previous models. and to make the boost go up the wastegate is connected by two bolts undo the bolts and put washers behind it i have 5 washers on each side and im boosting 10 to 11.

1989 8secmkiii owner 12-08-2008 09:31 PM

sale mkiii 7 mge parts.

hey, guyz any one needs parts from mkiii mge parts just let me know. i m parting out my car. tnx leave me a message for info regarding parts and pic. tnx.:x:

1989 8secmkiii owner 01-23-2009 10:58 PM

check engine light

hi guyz check engine light came on my car it is throwing code #2 which is VAF circuit . so if any one know about that let m e know thanks.