Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKIII Supra

Old 12-27-2009, 03:59 AM   #1
suicidal
Stock

suicidal is on a distinguished road
Default n/a to turbo question

i keep on hearing that all i need to do to swap my car from n/a to turbo is manifold, turbo, intercooler and oil lines. is this true or do i need to get other things?
Old 12-27-2009, 04:46 AM   #2
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 06:14 AM   #3
suicidal
Stock

i take it that i am wrong or something?
Old 12-27-2009, 06:28 AM   #4
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Okay, sorry about that... your screen name and the 'slap-dash' advice you've been getting from somewhere... well, I couldn't resist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suicidal View Post
i keep on hearing that all i need to do to swap my car from n/a to turbo is manifold, turbo, intercooler and oil lines. is this true or do i need to get other things?
The question is: How long do you want it to last?

There are some significant differences between the GTE and the GE. While the GE will get by fine without some of them with a turbo, others make a significant difference in the longevity of the engine.

The GTE has a different ECU with ignition and fuel maps designed for a boosted engine. Fuel is better adjusted for a given load and RPM and timing is better tailored to reduce knock. The GTE has a different fuel pressure regulator which increases fuel pressure are manifold pressure increases to a much larger degree than the GE's FPR. The VAFM which the GE uses to measure air flow is not well suited for a boosted 7M. The GTE also has an oil cooler (a must have in my book for a turbo'd engine) and oil squirters to help lubricate and cool the pistons. The oil feed and return for the turbo are not drilled on the GE block, as such you will need to add a drain and you will need to source the oil supply from another location... the oil supply is easy, the drain sucks... you'll need to pull the engine and either drill the stock drain location (recommended) or you'll need to pull the oil pan and get a drain bung welded to the oil pan as high as possible and make sure it's pointing at a main cap (the concern here is that the drain may get covered and thus obstructed if you are boosting in a hard turn... this could ruin a seal in the turbo. The GTE's also got higher flowing fuel and oil pumps and a more efficient fan. The GE has higher compression pistons and as such is more prone to preignition issues as well, higher octane fuel will help with this as will pulling spark advance.

At a minimum, I recommend: a set of serviced and flow tested GTE injectors, a fuel controller (SAFC II or Neo; MAFT Gen II or MAFT Pro would be great as they'll allow you to replace the VAFM with something more accurate too), pull ignition timing a few degrees, a GTE FPR, a full flow oil cooler, GTE spark plugs, a new GTE fuel pump (or better), a wideband O2 sensor and gauge.

While I'm running a N/A-T I don't recommend it really... not unless you're very capable or have another car to drive when it's down. Doing a swap isn't really much more work actually and it gives you time to rebuild the GTE and make sure it's going to be reliable and solid.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

Tip Jar --->
Old 12-28-2009, 12:49 AM   #5
suicidal
Stock

ok so im understanding this as not worth it and do motor swap. gotcha. now i just need to find one. thanks man
Old 12-28-2009, 01:15 AM   #6
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

There are a few people out there who will advocate turboing the engine you already have... I used to be one of them... until I went through it.

"Worth it" is relative...

If you decide to go N/A-T I won't be ragging on you though. It's just not for the inexperienced, costs more to get going initially and generally causes a bit more stress while you wait for something to break the first several months after.

If you're dying to start upgrading and don't know what route you're going to go in the end then I recommend starting with mods which will be used regardless: adjustable fuel pressure regulator, upgraded fuel pump, suspension, brakes wheels and tires, upgrade the radiator, aftermarket oil cooling system, wideband O2 sensor, cat back exhaust upgrade (wait until you're closer to dropping in the turbo though, too big of an exhaust on a N/A actually costs you power and sounds like $h!t, IMO), and so on.,

Tip Jar --->
Old 12-28-2009, 03:31 AM   #7
suicidal
Stock

ok cool thanks for the help and the tips. ill be sure to ask more as i go if i need help
Old 12-28-2009, 09:18 AM   #8
suprarx7nut
Stock

suprarx7nut is on a distinguished road

As one of the people involved with helping CRE going through the final stages of turboing a 7MGE, I can say I'm looking to go turbo and I'm not even considering using the 7MGE.

It takes more customization that I'm comfortable with right now and takes substantially more work in the form of research and actual labor making the GE ready to handle the drastically different conditions of a turbo'd powerplant.

If you want advice, I'd second the notion that a GTE swap may be a better alternative.

I'm planning my own GTE swap for this coming spring.
suprarx7nut is offline   Reply With Quote