Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum!

Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/)
-   MKII Supra (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/mkii-supra/)
-   -   1986 Supra Electrical Problems (http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/mkii-supra/625-1986-supra-electrical-problems.html)

snowbor444 04-04-2005 12:08 AM

Hi, i have a 1986 Supra (150000 miles) and i am having troubles with my headlights / foglights

- all lights work except headlights and foglights

- i have checked the main headlight relay and its fine

- also, when the car is turned off the headlights pop UP (not down like they should), and when the car is turned on (or key turned forward without car on) the headlights go DOWN, however, when the light switch is turned ON they pop up like they should

- i have replaced the entire light switch assembly in the stearing column twice

if anyone knows what could be wrong with my car id be grateful

Thanks,
Brandon

hangsupra 04-04-2005 07:54 AM

:o back in the day when i first got my 85 mk2 supra....i use to have that problem too...i found out wat cause it....its the wiring from the steering to the horn next to the washer fluid tank....i got a cut/broken wired.....because...that wire is touching the body frame so thats what it cause me that trouble...but i dont know about your...but if i were you...i will double check the wiring from the headlight and follow up and see if you saw any uh....wiring that it connect wrong...what i mean wrong is that...sometime you rewiring it wrong...for example... you switch the red into the black n the black into the red so thats why it goes opposite when you start the engine.... correction if i wrong... :D

snowbor444 04-05-2005 03:40 AM

all the wiring is stock, so the wiring has never been touched

i will check that wire though for wear

thanks

ill follow up if i find something or dont for that matter

hangsupra 04-05-2005 05:59 AM

:P hope you find it in some where..... :D let me know when you got it to work alright....and what cause that to make it happen alright... :huh:

tonster 04-06-2005 01:04 AM

my 82 supra used to have headlight trouble. they would go down fine, but when i put the switch to up they would blink up and down continuously so i had to put them up and take out the retractor control relay. it turned out the problem was a lil computer circuit hidden in a blue box labeled headlight retractor control behind the dash that was faulty. i just bypassed it because it only added slightly better functionality because of the way the switch was designed. like the switch didnt provide power for the headlight motors when it was in the on position so i have to put the switch to up and wait til they came up before i turn them on or just not switch to on too fast. also the circuit would pop up the lights if you were flashing the high beams. the control has 6 inputs, 1 is a hanging wire for the up power and 2 are for the down power which runs through it and the other 3 are voltages depending what lights you have on (high or low) if i remember right. so to bypass it i just took it out and shorted across the down power wire instead of letting it run through the circuit or just took out the up wire. hope this makes sense and helps you out.

snowbor444 04-06-2005 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by tonster@Apr 6 2005, 01:04 AM
like the switch didnt provide power for the headlight motors when it was in the on position so i have to put the switch to up and wait til they came up before i turn them on or just not switch to on too fast
actually this used to happen, if i turned the light switch to ON too fast the lights wouldnt work, or the dashboard lights would not come on at all, which was not the best thing at night, however i fixed this by replace the entire column assembly with directional signal switch, and lights switch

i will look into this suggestion

if anyone else has any other ideas while i look at the two ive been given keep 'em coming.

I havent had much time recently, so if i fix it, or find whats wrong ill let you guys know

ALSO #1: i would like to know if the RETRACTOR CONTROL RELAY could have an impact on whether the HEADLIGHTS turn on

as of now the headlights don't work at all, so are these two seperate things? or could the Retractor Relay have to do with the Headlights not working?

ALSO #2: Could the Light Retainer Relay be the cause of both of these problem and not the Retractor Control Relay, because in the book it seems indicates that the Light Retainer Relay sends electricity to the HEADLIGHT RELAY and then to the Lights

ALSO #3: Where is the Light Retainer Relay?

THANKS everyone

hangsupra 04-06-2005 05:40 AM

well...if you looking for the headlight relay it sure be in the fuse and relay box...next to battery...open it up...look on the left...to right... it sure be 3 of than if i right....well....the headlight relay (round) is the one that next to the fuse (Charge)....if you look from the side...there is two column of fuse...it sure the on the right at the very first one....thats above the very first fuse..thats the headlight relay....correct me if i wrong....and i will look it up tommow after came from skool....i will post it up again... :D

monkihead 04-06-2005 02:49 PM

this might help...
http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/library/TSRM.../be/BE_007.html

hangsupra 04-06-2005 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by monkihead@Apr 6 2005, 02:49 PM
this might help...

haha....he got the part that i want to tell you he got it first....before i telling you so yeah....well i guess... try to test or see the deadlight relay and see what happen....well hope that solve the problem....well yeah.. have a nice one...let me know how you got to work alright....peace out... :P

Guest 04-06-2005 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by hangsupra+Apr 6 2005, 11:20 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (hangsupra @ Apr 6 2005, 11:20 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--monkihead@Apr 6 2005, 02:49 PM
this might help...

haha....he got the part that i want to tell you he got it first....before i telling you so yeah....well i guess... try to test or see the deadlight relay and see what happen....well hope that solve the problem....well yeah.. have a nice one...let me know how you got to work alright....peace out... :P [/b][/quote]
i already tested the headlight relay, before i posted, its fine

so now im wondering whether all of this, both the Headlight problem (not turning on at all) and the Headlight Retracting problem (being reversed) could both be due to the Retractor Relay

i saw where the Retractor Relay is in that link you posted, but i want to know what you guys think before i start getting in there to check it