Home / Toyota Supra Forums

Go Back   Toyota Supra Forums! Join the Supra forum! > Performance, Modification, and Maintenance Forums - for generation specific discussions > MKII Supra

Old 02-27-2006, 02:23 AM   #1
gpgtp_22
3" Exhaust

gpgtp_22 is on a distinguished road
Default mkII vs mkIII tranny

I was wondering if there was any differences between the transmissions. I know they can be used with both engines but is one better than the other. Im doing the 7mgte swap and i wasn't sure what would be better to rebuild the tranny i have or try to find one out of a mkIII.
gpgtp_22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 06:57 AM   #2
midwestmk2
3" Exhaust

midwestmk2 is on a distinguished road

Unless you want to replace the driveshaft with a custom unit just rebuild the W58..The output shaft is different and its roughly about 2 inches longer on the R154..The next weak point will be the rear diff..Ive heard that the hilux diff out of the trucks will bolt strait into our housings you will just have to swap the pinion out also but it would be the ultimate in stength with out just doing a strait axle conversion..
83 p-type,5spd,4;10 gears,New 86 cressida 5MGE 195hp,HKS metal head gasket,Cressida injectors,d-port intake runners,No EGR,No cat,Tweaked MAF,Custom cold air intake,Custom rear strut bar,Perfection clutch,Custom 3inch exhaust,4inch bazooka muffler,,Only 2700lbs,, COME AND GET IT!IF YOU DARE!! Please no Honduuuuhhhs!!!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/858848/2
midwestmk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 01:46 PM   #3
Freezenpop
Stock

Freezenpop is on a distinguished road

if you do end up replacing the tranny, if yours is in fine condition, i could use a new tranny for my own to fit a 5m-ge. Mine is making noises i dont like and just replaced the clutch and its stil making noises i dont like, jsut a bit different. So, tell me if you are replacing yours cuz then i might be interesting in getting a hold of the one you have.
Freezenpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 01:30 AM   #4
hangsupra
12psi boost

hangsupra is on a distinguished road

what kind of noise... is it like a knocking noise or like someone who hammer the tranny from under the tranny.... is that the noise you hear.... if so then the problem you have is the flywheel... cause its not tight tight to the block.. i beat you that the bolt that holds the flywheels to the block is loosing....so you need to tight it more tightly..... hope this the proble you have... that use to happen on my mk2 when i do a auto/manual convertion.... i convert from auto to 5speed and thats the proble i having on my mk2... so double check the flywheel....
hangsupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 06:03 AM   #5
Freezenpop
Stock

well the cvar is originally manual, so im pretty sure its not a porblem that would arise out of conversion. My transmission had been wearing out, being that its an 83 and therefore it was 20+ years old. Eventually, one day, about a cou0pel weeks ago, i turned on the car, and when i let the clutch out, it sounded like theres was a loose nut being tossed around inside the engine, sounded VERY loud. The nhoise goes away when i push the cluth in. Replaced the clutch, and now theres stiull a wierd sound, im sure is the throw out bearing not backing off enough when the clutch is out while in neutral. I think today i heard a bit of a knocking sound, but that was only today i heard that. The noise, it almost seems, to be a little biut different everyday, which is why tis hard for me to figure out exactly whats going on. I know the clutch still needs to be adjusted because it shits VERY roughly right now too. Sometimes i have to really push it into 1st, sometimes i works easy, and often getting grinding as well. I figured the easiest and most headache free way would just be a new tranny, unless i can fix it with less money and/or work.
Old 03-01-2006, 06:21 AM   #6
midwestmk2
3" Exhaust

That knock may be the rear bearings..I thought it was my tranny at first also..Do yourself a favor and drop the tranny and clutch and make sure the flywheel is torqued down then put on the bellhousing by itself..Put on the starter and fire it up..You will find out pretty quick if its the mains or tranny..Even if the motor was recently rebuilt check anyway..I just got to the 4000 mile mark and the motor is knocking agian..
83 p-type,5spd,4;10 gears,New 86 cressida 5MGE 195hp,HKS metal head gasket,Cressida injectors,d-port intake runners,No EGR,No cat,Tweaked MAF,Custom cold air intake,Custom rear strut bar,Perfection clutch,Custom 3inch exhaust,4inch bazooka muffler,,Only 2700lbs,, COME AND GET IT!IF YOU DARE!! Please no Honduuuuhhhs!!!

Old 03-01-2006, 09:09 AM   #7
hangsupra
12psi boost

Talking

well... i sure that.... its the flywheel... is loosing from the block... its not tight night.. its wragle... the noise only come out when you first start the car... do it sounds like a piston knocking... if so then i sure its the flywheel... drop down your tranny and take out the presuare plate and double check on all the nuts that holds down the flywheel on the block... and double check on the bearings also... and i hope is the problem for you...
another suggestion... double check on your drive shaft... that came from the rear tranny to the joint where its square plate that have the 4bolt that joint the rear drive shaft to the rear differential.... check on those 4bolt sometime if it loosing it does have a knocking sounds too... it sounds like someone hammer your car tho...

oh i forgot another thing as well... this is those problem i have on my tranny back in the day...

proble 1: the flywheel (6bolt) didnt tight enough its loosing due by hand tight only....

proble 2: Clutch Disc the bearing or the theft how you gonna call it.. thats where your tranny went throw that little holes... yeah... i didnt buy a new disc clutch... i take my old disc clutch to a local shop for replace the clutch pad and keep or using the old metal part... and i drove for a month or two and later on... its wragle and my clutch is loosing and moving everywhere and when you shift then the disc is wragle and it didnt spend right... it looks like the pad is bent and little crack and thats why it gave me knocking sounds too...

when this two problem happen... it sounds like someone is hammer from underneath the car really hard... and if you listen from the outside when the hood is open.. it sounds like your piston is knocking tho... the knocking noise is kind of coming from the back of the egr valve cooler and down below to the bottom block... well this is what i know so far on my mk2 tranny when i have this type of proble tho... and hope this will help you little bit... and sorry if i confuse you....

correct me if i wrong and not making nense and also the confusion alright.
Old 03-01-2006, 07:31 PM   #8
midwestmk2
3" Exhaust

Mine is definitly the mains..

Old 03-05-2006, 09:43 PM   #9
Freezenpop
Stock

just picked up another tranny, so hopefully that should work, putting it in next weekend, and if it doesent work well, i can trade it in for another, and is that doesent work, well, thats when i may have to go to a shop.
Old 03-06-2006, 04:42 AM   #10
hangsupra
12psi boost

thats a good idea...