Old 12-08-2011, 03:06 PM   #73
[SupraLEGEND]
Intake

[SupraLEGEND] is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwpanas View Post
Not really. Again, compare it to this clutch:
http://www.titanmotorsports.com/tiltripcarcl.html
No - again, the sprung-hub design is a weakness...and that design feature is for comfort and reliability NOT "very high horsepower".
Didn't you read the information at the link you yourself posted? Gikken doesn't make a single disk clutch for the Mkiv Supra Turbo. Why ask this question? Please note that all clutches have a single pressure plate. It's only the number of clutch disks and floater plates that vary.
Of course it does, but most of the reason for that is that it is only offered for the Mkiv in multiple disk versions.
I'm not aware of anything wrong with that brand, I suppose. However, talking about the specific compound of pad installed on the Supra you're considering is more relevant. A compound that's great on the track can not only be 'bad' on the street...it can be dangerous. For example, Endless' S580 pad material wouldn't just be a bit dangerous - most likely you'd wreck your car with it. It takes a lot of hard braking just to bring that pad up to the temperature where it grabs. Before that, it feels like the pad is a solid stone and has almost no grip at all on the rotors.

To be honest though, the overall relevance of pads to the car purchase is a secondary consideration at most. Brake pads are consumeables, just like gasoline, oil, and transmission fluid. Is the exact type a consideration - sure...but only for the period of time until it needs to be changed. Many of the other parts on the car (eg. the brake calipers) are meant to last for many years or for the lifetime of the car, and that's what is of primary importance to evaluate.

Lastly, the question is a bit weird. It's kind of like asking if I like General Motors. I guess it's an okay car company in general but I wouldn't use a C6 Z06 to drive my grandmother to a ballet in the wintertime. I also wouldn't be caught dead in a Cobalt under any circumstances. *shrug*
And the difference is...?

But that clutch can handle 800HP...if that's not a very high figure to you, I don't know what is...

Yes Giken doesn't, sorry, my bad If the Giken is better than the OEM clutch then, that's all the better for me...

So tell me, why does the Tilton clutch description speak of "multi-plate" clutch?

Yes, agreed - the pad compound is second consideration - hence I haven't stressed about it. When I get the car, I'll look at the pads with an "if the shoe fits, wear it..." approach. If I'm not happy with them for my application, I'll buy a new set...

What did/do you think of the OEM pads through your personal experience?
[SupraLEGEND] is offline   Reply With Quote