View Single Post
Old 12-05-2011, 10:59 AM   #61
[SupraLEGEND]
Intake

[SupraLEGEND] is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwpanas View Post
I can't begin to tell you how wrong I belive that your whole attitude is about this. They want your money and they can't even tell you what kind of clutch is in it. I can tell you 100% for sure I wouldn't send them a dime for that car unless I knew. For all you know - really! - it's just the oem clutch (or worse) and they're claiming it's a "racing clutch". How can you have so much blind faith in ... of all things ... a used car dealer???? I'm not going to call you gullible, since otherwise you come across as a very smart guy... Sorry to be blunt, but I can't help coming to that overall observation about your approach. Please consider being a bit more critical about them before you send them any of your hard-earned dollars...and repeat after me: there is no such thing as a "racing" clutch, or "racing" brake pads. These are just overly-general terms invented by a used car salesman that's either too lazy to find out what product was really used, or too slick to tell you the truth about what's really on there.
Let's agree to disagree about this. With the oem n/a suspension, the oem n/a transmission, and the oem n/a brake calipers (yes I know model years, Japanese-spec, etc., etc., but to me they're still n/a brakes), oem n/a differential, and the oem n/a ABS system, to me it's an na-T at best. Call me wrong if you like, and disagree if you like, but you're not going to change my mind about this. Let's let the other readers of this forum decide for themselves.
If you think the oem TT (US-spec) brakes are cool, you should feel some real upgraded brakes like AP Racing, Brembo, or Stoptech. Oh, and brake ducts should be added too if it's going to be roadraced.
The HKS EVC 5 (actually the current model is 6) is a very good boost controller - I've got no concerns about it at all, as long as it's properly installed and properly calibrated. However, I prefer the HKS EVC EZ 2 (or the just-released HKS EVC-S) for its simplicity and lower price.
Thanks for the compliment

How can I just believe them you ask? Fair question. Best answer I can give you is this - as you know, I live in SA. I will buy a Supra from Japan. At the moment, it's uneconomical for me to fly over there and look at the cars personally - the money for that whole trip will go into the car itself after all. I'd love to do that though. Due to this reality, taking the dealers' word for it is all I have to go on. I'm an optimistic person. I know you're pushing me to remain realistic about the info I receive and I won't reject that advice however, judging by the conversations I have with the dealer, their urgent responses and willingness to answer all my questions about the cars, and the huge discount they're willing to give me since my budget is tight, it shows sincerity on their part. Yes, they are a dealer, they want to sell a car to me - either Supra 1 or Supra 2, either way, they will make their money and I have no guarantee whatsoever that what they say is true. BUT, they have sent me numerous pictures of each car allowing me to see it's condition for myself and that it has A, B, C upgrades installed - more importantly than that, a clear picture of the '93 RZ's odometer was taken showing me the exact mileage of the engine. Once the car is prepped for shipping, they will send a video to me (a video from port). I will try to be more critical though. If anything, I'm the type of guy who will ask 100's of questions about something before I buy it after all.

There is after sales service as well - if I find something wrong with the car or any parts they installed upon arrival at port, I can send it back to them as a whole or, they will give me replacement parts free of charge.

You know the saying - "half-a-loaf is better than none..."

I hear you about racing clutch/pads. I'm gonna ask them about the brand next time. Depending on the previous owner's driving skill, do you realise that the OEM clutch or "racing" one will feel quite good (new) since it's very low mileage?

We can agree to disagree about your take on the '95 being an N/A-T since I know how you feel about N/A. I must say that I disagree with your feelings about an N/A MKIV Supra but, they're yours. I don't have to say it again but I will, TT Supra is far superior than N/A - all enthusiasts know this fact well. That being said, the '95 isn't an SZ or N/A anymore now, is it...

Questions:
Can you agree that the engine it has is from an RZ/S Twin Turbo Supra - 2JZ-GTE and the engine type is the main thing when discussing N/A or Turbo?
You also know that it has very high level aftermarket suspension, fuel pump, upgraded pads, TCS installed and 1.5 way LSD - all of which make up for the N/A's shortcomings or at least make up for them to some degree?
The previous owner clearly wanted to transform his SZ into an RZ and aimed his choice of upgrades at the OEM's level or a level above in some cases (he just left out the tranny why)
In other words, do you agree that, a 2JZ-GTE wasn't just dropped into an SZ and left as is?

Second major component after the car's heart is the tranny - this we know has been retained from the SZ since it's 5MT. This is what's throwing me the most right now

Which is more affordable from the 3 braking brands you listed?
[SupraLEGEND] is offline   Reply With Quote