View Single Post
Old 12-03-2011, 03:54 AM   #58
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by [SupraLEGEND] View Post
...Are the stock rotors unsuitable for OHLINS??...
No, the braking system and the suspension system are independent of each other. Assuming a proper alighment and corner-weighting, you'd be able to corner like mad, but not stop very well. If you're okay with that imbalanced design for roadracing, then go for it. To me, it speaks to either bad planning for the upgrades, or a project partially finished. *shrug*
Quote:
...so, you reckon the sound will be easily audible or not?...
To me, performance is always the trump card...not looks or cool sounds. The oem bov routes the charge-air from the BOV output back into the intake system, and the Toyota engineers designed it this way for a reason. To me, you don't mess with something that works unless there's a really good reason (and warbling blow-off valve sounds to impress your friends isn't one). Just mho.
Quote:
...It's around 400HP so, the racing clutch...
Yeah, there's another one I didn't mention earlier. No such thing as a "racing clutch". It's also too general of a term. An upgraded clutch also has specific a brand and a specific model.
Quote:
...people who modify like to cancel ABS to get a more direct braking feel...
They're complete idiots, imho. Among other things, ABS is much safer in wet conditions, and it keeps you from flat-spotting your tires in dry conditions. The only justified ABS removal is if you choose to b@st@rdize your Supra and turn it into a trailered, drag-strip-only vehicle. Driving it only 1/4 mile at a time, with a parachute to slow you down at the end, the weight savings in removing the ABS is warranted. Other than that, keep it on. For n/a-T applications, get the TT ABS on there if at all possible, since it's much more capable than the n/a ABS: Eg. The TT ABS puts more braking power on the front left tire if turning right.
Quote:
.... He does think that the ABS will be quite good with this power though, no problem....
Of course he says that - he's trying to sell the car lol. Again, just mho. *shrug*
Quote:
He's confident that the racing pads make a favourable difference to the stock rotors braking performance....
Again, no such thing. Oh, and he's very likely wrong as well...since the oem pads are so aggressive it's tough to beat them for a street/strip application. It's a joke and (to me) false advertising to imply that n/a brakes with "racing pads" are anywhere as effective as full TT 4-piston calipers and rotors.
Quote:
...What do you reckon?...
I still say get the oem TT and not the na-T.
Quote:
...if you install a TRD 320km/h and 10 000rpm tacho, do you need to calibrate them or are they just plug and play (will both read correct speeds by default)?...
They're completely plug and play. However, neither are made anymore, so you'll have a tough time finding them.
Quote:
...Is the HKS F-Con IS a stand alone unit that replaces the stock ECU altogether or does it work in conjunction with it?...
It's a standalone.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 12-03-2011 at 03:58 AM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote