View Single Post
Old 12-02-2011, 04:20 PM   #57
[SupraLEGEND]
Intake

[SupraLEGEND] is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwpanas View Post
Yes.Thank you! Absolutely, but I'll let you decide. For starters, take a look at the price:
http://www.ohlinsusa.com/us/index.ph...road-and-track
Agree. I'm not saying it's bad to have too much suspension (except perhaps in the area of maintenace costs). However, I am saying the upgrades on that car are a bit unbalanced...too much suspension and not enough brakes. It's just an overall comment about the choices made for the specific combination of modifications. Like perhaps a project abandoned partway through? From the perspective of a project car or a starting point it's just fine. From the perspective of someone that wants to take the car out and seriously roadrace day 1, perhaps it's not optimal. *shrug*
The oem rotors are in fact better than aftermarket slotted and/or cross-drilled for pure braking power. However, there's no way to upgrade the rotor diameter without also changing the calipers. That's the level of brake upgrade that should have been done to match that suspension, imho.There are a very few areas where the Toyota let us down with the oem components, but the oem BOV is one of them. Inside it is just cheap plastic, and with the heat generated in the 2jz-gte engine bay the oem bov has a limited life span before it starts leaking. Pretty much any/every BOV will perform better than stock, especially in the reliability area. Of course, if you upgrade to a large single turbo, you'll also need larger size of BOV(s) to vent a greater volume of air during a blow-off.
If you're running the oem MAF, be sure to get a BOV that has an output routed back to the post-maf intake tube (as it is in the oem configuration). If you vent the BOV to atmosphere (again, with a MAF), you'll run overly-rich every time the BOV vents, which can stall the car and/or foul the plugs and/or wash down the cylinder walls.I do wish you the best of luck in obtaining a Supra. Please keep us informed on your journey!
Thanks for the vote of confidence and all the answers Phil. Oh, and my pleasure (complimenting your car)

I kinda agree with you on the point about the '95 Supra with OHLINS being abandoned half way through the project. I got the feeling that the previous owner was prepping it for a big single turbo...with the Sard racing fuel pump, HKS F-Con IS and Trust oil cooler, he may very well have been?
Are the stock rotors unsuitable for OHLINS?? OHLINS is damn expensive!!!

About the BOV, it looks quite solid (stainless finish) so, it should last a long time huh? It's quite small compared to an HKS SSQV or GReddy Type RZ
so, you reckon the sound will be easily audible or not?

The dealer told me how the '93 RZ felt and is about to tell me how the '95 feels after he drives it. Good news, the superb '93 RZ 6MT has a full HKS exhaust with front/down pipe

This is what the dealer told me after I asked them a few more questions about the APU+ Supra:

It's around 400HP so, the racing clutch allows the 5MT to handle that power well. If I want to modify it more like, go big single, I should install 6MT. They don't think that the ABS system has been upgraded however, most people who modify like to cancel ABS to get a more direct braking feel (this doesn't tell us that it's been cancelled rather, what a certain tuning practice may be). He does think that the ABS will be quite good with this power though, no problem.
He's confident that the racing pads make a favourable difference to the stock rotors braking performance. Engine, ECU, ignition coil, wiring harness is all RZ grade - complete set, no problem there.

What do you reckon?

P.S. more tuning questions: if you install a TRD 320km/h and 10 000rpm tacho, do you need to calibrate them or are they just plug and play (will both read correct speeds by default)? Is the HKS F-Con IS a stand alone unit that replaces the stock ECU altogether or does it work in conjunction with it?

Thanks Phil
[SupraLEGEND] is offline   Reply With Quote