View Single Post
Old 12-02-2011, 11:30 AM   #6
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supras4ever View Post
...isn't the supra kinda meh with the auto tranny ?...
Um, no. Bone stock, the Mkiv TT auto is faster in the 1/4 mile than the 6spd, and more consistent too. Of course, it's more comfortable to drive - try kicking some butt from a stoplight while drinking a coffee in a 6spd. ...
Quote:
...The manual tt si expensive ...
Not at all,imho. Considering what you get, it's a great value.
Quote:
...and after that i have to make it like apu for ~ 500 hp, right ? that means at least 3000$ ? with the fcd,ecc,downpipe,exhaust,cams etc ?
EDIT : Or will I be better buying the auto supra + t61 kit ?...
1) With an n/a you'll really struggle to get 500hp - I'm talking thousands and thousands of dollars and many, many hours of expert time. With an Mkiv TT in good shape, 500hp is very straightforward, and the upgrades are almost trivial. Of course, those upgrades aren't free, but their complexity and cost is far lower than trying to get an n/a to perform equivalently.

2) MOST importantly, a strongly performing car is about SO much more than horsepower alone. What's the good of horsepower if you just sit there and spin with skinny 16" tires, or can't corner when you get going, or can't stop at the end? The Mkiv TT gives you all of that in one package, and the n/a does not.
Quote:
...If I build the na supra, let's say to around 500hp / ~ 430rwhp...because I still think is less expensive then the twin turbo...
You're VERY wrong about this, if you consider the entire set of upgrades to achieve your ultimate goal. No one wants a powerful car that just sits there and spins and can't go anywhere or stop.
Quote:
...(I know it's not the better choice) and is better for me because I can add the turbo after like 1 month of buying the Supra(so I don't need all the cash in an instance)...
Like everything else in life, a TT is worth the wait. Work hard, save for a few more months, and get the TT if that's the kind of performance you want.
Quote:
...how much time will the tranny resist if I don't drive really hard ?...
At 500hp, an n/a auto tranny could fail very quickly (weeks or months) especially if you put some good tires on the back. Again, if you run skinny high-mileage tires on 16" rims and just want to do smokeshows, perhaps the tranny will last a while longer.
The 5spd will probably hold 500hp for a good long while. The MKIII Supra with the 5spd has proven very reliable at that level.
Quote:
...I know the brakes are better on the twinturbo, but are these necessary or just recommended ?...
Depends if you're planning to roadrace or not.
Quote:
...What about the diff and ignition system ?...
The oem TT diff is much stronger, but you may not need that if you never go beyond 500hp.
The oem n/a ignition system ...for lack of a better term... sucks donkey balls. You'll need to upgrade it to make a reliable 500hp+ with an n/a-T.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 12-02-2011 at 11:33 AM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote