View Single Post
Old 11-30-2011, 08:59 AM   #55
[SupraLEGEND]
Intake

[SupraLEGEND] is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwpanas View Post
Thank you for the additional information about Japanese-spec Mkiv brakes. Much appreciated.

Overall note: My purpose is to help protect you against the sellers here, that *may have* overstated the degree to which they have upgraded these cars. I'm also trying to educate other readers of this forum who may end up in a similar situation. My purpose is not to, for example, win an argument against you. I'm only trying to point out some things you may not have considered, given the limited information that you have posted here.

Disagree. In fact, now that you've shared your application I'm more convinced than ever than Ohlin shocks are overkill beyond overkill - waaaaaay too much suspension for your needs. Please consider the following:
  • The oem shocks have been successfully roadraced.
  • Minor suspension upgrades (Eibach springs and KYB shocks) have been successfully roadraced.
  • Modest coilovers (HKS or Ground Control or Tiens) have been very successfully roadraced.
  • You only need to go to the level of Penske/Ohlin/Moton shocks if you're a hard-core advanced amateur or semi-pro.
For your drag/street/track application, something like Eibachs and KYBs would fit the bill perfectly. At this level of suspension upgrade, your Supra's performance would be superior, and you would take great advantage of its capabilities. I suspect you'd get many years of great use out of that set-up before you would need to upgrade.
Too bad they didn't see fit to upgrade the brakes too...at least with US-spec rotors and calpers, if not something even better aftermarket (Brembo, AP Racing, Stoptech, Rotara, etc.). *shrug* With more power you don't just need to corner quicker, you need to stop quicker too.
Disagree. The reason I say this is because there's no such thing as a "racing" brake pad. The term is far too general. Give me the specific company name that makes the pad (eg. TRD? Carbotech? EBC? Brembo? Project Mu? etc.), and an exact compound specification and then we would actually have something that we can evaluate. Without that, a "racing" brake pad can actually hurt performance. For example, some of the 'EBC greenstuff' pads actually perform worse than oem, but some might consider them to be "racing" pads. Folks usually buy 'EBC greenstuff' pads because they create less brake dust than the oem pads. In fact, the oem brake pads really are quite good for braking performance, even in an on-track roadracing scenario.Agree: the TT is exhilarating. The n/a is merely something nice to look at.Not in the least little bit. If the n/a version were never made, the Mkiv Supra Turbo would have achieved a much higher ranking as an unequivicably 'affordable mid '90s supercar'. The Mkiv n/a's components are, to me, not much better than what you'd find in (for example) a Solara...which is by no standard a 'sportscar'.
Your name is Phil right? I took a look at your Supra on your MySpace page. She's hot man, hot! I see we have similar taste in styling - good set of rims, no radical body kit, more stock look with enhancements such as tasteful kits to add to the original beauty of the Supra. My pleasure to provide info

I know your aim dude, no need to point it out. I really appreciate your advice. That's exactly why I came here, to get advice from people who currently own Supras and can tell me from experience what's what when mods are concerned. Thanks.

Glad you mentioned that the OEM shocks have been successfully roadraced because, that's just my point. The Supra as a whole is such a well engineered car stock standard, there's no real need to change anything. Now, I can get an enhanced Supra like the '93 RZ 6MT which has overall great parts that really add to it's already impressive capabilities which is a no brainer.

Wow, are Ohlins really THAT good??? Please tell me more about them because, until I saw the '95 Supra, I never heard their name before, lol (seriously, I haven't).

My needs are completely taken care of by both Supras - you reckon the Ohlins are overkill right now and I agree however, doesn't that also mean that I score big in that department if I do in fact buy that Supra with Ohlins - when I eventually do become hardcore amateur, semi-pro, the car already has such suspension?? Right, I've asked the dealer more questions about brakes, transmission and so on and will report back when he tells me more. Aww yeah, the '93 has HKS suspension which has been very successfully road-raced - I love the sound of that

About the racing pads. I answered you based on what came to my mind when I heard about them - perhaps they are TRD and if they are, I read on TRD's website that their pads offer "higher initial bite" than standard. They weren't referring to the Supra I'm sure because the Supra, as you say has very good brakes and pads as is but, what I gather from them is that's what they term "racing pads". If you buy TRD pads specifically for the Supra then, I'm guessing the performance will be even better to say the least. Just me putting 2 and 2 together because of a lack of information as to what the car actually has...yeah, if he didn't do the rotors as well, it's a pity. At least he didn't neglect them as a whole though. I'll wait for more info from the dealer but, I don't think he'll be able to tell me the compound of the pads. Sorry.

Toyota built the Supra in the best way possible - both TT and N/A. They know best what suits each the best. I only look for Supras that have been logically upgraded in such a way that matches and/or exceeds the level of performance Toyota achieved originally. The TT came with a 6 speed Getrag for a reason, conversely, the N/A came with a 5 speed also, for a reason - I agree with you fully on that one. I must say that I am highly impressed by the quality of Supras I have found in it's homeland. Superb tuning and pristine condition would make any hardcore fan happy.

What do you understand by a racing blow off valve?? they didn't give me a brand but said that the '93 RZ has a racing blow off valve - it doesn't look like an HKS or Blitz in terms of size but, it's definitely a BOV. How do you think it will perform (sound as well)? It's mounted where the original BOV is/was if that helps...

About the Supra being exhilarating - I actually meant both forms as in standard TT or modded I can't wait for this car man...years I've longed for it and now, it's finally in my midst - I can't describe that feeling to you in words...
[SupraLEGEND] is offline   Reply With Quote