View Single Post
Old 11-29-2011, 05:49 PM   #49
[SupraLEGEND]
Intake

[SupraLEGEND] is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwpanas View Post
Hmmm....could you provide supporting documentation for that? US-spec Mkiv's had 4-piston front brake calipers since '93.5. I find it very strange that 'yota would have short-changed the JDM TT like that.1) What is a "racing" brake pad? Sounds pretty subjective if you ask me. 2) There's no substitute for a bigger rotor. 3) (And most importantanly) there's no substitute for a 4-piston brake caliper over a 2-piston.
Disagree. For what it's worth, I would not roadrace a ~3500 lb. Mkiv Turbo with n/a brake calipers -
Again, please provide a link to support this. In the US, the '96 Mkiv TT was actually downgraded from quad independent ABS to triple independent ABS (rear wheels use same ABS valving post '95). To me it seems highly unlikely 'yota would downgrade the US ABS the same year they upgraded Japanese-spec ABS.

How do you know he's not, if this wasn't in the list of modifications?
Disagree, imho.

I agree with you that the mods that are on both Supras were chosen with some degree of forethought, and may very well have been installed properly. In fact, a few of the mods are downright impressive (eg. the Ohlin shocks). HOWEVER: I do disagree with the subjective interpretation of the overall results, since the '93 won't be a full TT/RZ until the transmission AND differential, calipers, and ABS system have been addressed ... and the '95 won't be full BPU until it has a downpipe and some way to raise the oem boost level.

If I had to pick one of the two based on what you've posted, I'd go for the 93.5 TT 'almost-BPU'...assuming the prices are fair for both. With the '95 SZ->RZ partial conversion, you'd still be getting an n/a Mkiv with a transplanted engine, and too much $ put into the suspension for your application (just assuming about your application - please let us know what it is), imho.
To answer you about the brakes especially, the dealer told me many things about the cars. The '95 may very well have received a full brake upgrade to match the actual RZ's system. Unfortunately, I cannot see it personally since they're in Japan and there is a possibility that the dealer may have left out a few details. This is evident by his not mentioning certain parts that I could see from the pictures. You made an assumption about the sway bars. I didn't assume he upgraded them or not. I'd rather find that out from the dealer. No train smash there.

Aha, it seems you were misinformed about JDM Vs. USDM Supras, imho. The link you requested is here: www.mkiv.co.nz
The original Japanese TT mkiv Supra came out with the same brakes as the NA from May 1993 to May 1995. After May 1995 Toyota having realised this was a bad move decided to start using the BIG brakes that were always on the export model TT Mkiv from when it was first made. The move to big brakes on the Japanse Mkiv TT's was a piecemeal affair with only some TT's having the big brakes and only after May 1995.
The BIG brakes are an straight bolt-on although you will have to either bend the backing plates out of the way a bit or remove them entirely as I did. You can buy second-hand ones from the USA (where all the TT's have them) or even purchase new ones from Toyota as they were available on the post May 95 Japanese Mkiv's.

Your statement about "too much money put into the suspension" is far off. You can clearly see from the mod list that, the '95 Supra has APU engine upgrades. More power was clearly an emphasis with necessary attention being paid to the suspension which is very important for better handling of that extra power. As you can see by the mkiv.co.nz article above, '93 to '95 JDM Supras shared the same size brakes unlike the export spec.

Can you provide factual evidence of your statement about US Supras brakes being downgraded?

As for "racing pads". Yes, no substitute for bigger rotors and more pistons however, racing pads are not subjective. They genuinely improve braking performance. Better compounds = better grip onto the rotors which makes stopping easier and more precise. It'd rather have just a racing pads
upgrade than no brake upgrade at all. This of course is unnecessary on the original '93 RZ 6MT because, it's not pushing far more power than stock so it's brakes are definitely good enough.

Lol, I wonder if you guessed that my application is this:

To use the Supra to it's full potential in drag and circuit racing. It excels in both respects so, that's what I want to do. It's the best in power and handling from the Big Four Japanese supercars of the '90's, imho. The track (circuit racing) won't be very often but, I will definitely be on the track for drags more often than laps. My Supra and I will be king of the streets here which is where I'll be driving most often (more) upgrading can be done by me step by step. If I desire, the dealer is more than willing to mod either one further e.g. a boost controller for the RZ 6MT. Therefore, both these Supras cater for my needs. The beauty of aftermarket is this: as your needs change (evolve) you can mod your car to suit them. Supra is going to blow my mind - stock or modified

P.S. I would accept a stock standard Supra but, prefer if it's lightly to moderately modified like these two are. You must agree that Supra is exhilarating in both forms (moreso modded)? I notice you use the word "inferior" when talking about N/A's - the TT is certainly superior but, don't you think that's a bit harsh against the N/A?

BTW, where is JDM 93.5??? I need his feedback on the feel of an RZ thru 5MT box...

Last edited by pwpanas; 11-29-2011 at 10:50 PM.
[SupraLEGEND] is offline   Reply With Quote