View Single Post
Old 11-22-2011, 08:45 PM   #1
Johnny A
Stock

Johnny A is on a distinguished road
Default 2JZ conversion experts - your insight please!

Hey people, thought i'd sign up as I have no knowledge of Jap motors.

I am a Vauxhall man (already got the flame suit on!) and have been offered a Toyota Aristo with the 2JZ lump in it

The car isn't perfect by any means but is ripe for a donor as the mechanicals are fine, I would like to remove the 2JZ and install it into my Vauxhall Carlton (can anyone say 'sleeper'?).

Baiscally the carlton handles and drives superbly but in my opinion the 3.0 24v it has already is underpowered and the 2JZ is far superior in every which way I think of!

As I have no knowledge of jap cars or engines I was wondering if the experts would mind filling in some gaps for me.

1: First off I hate auto's, so I would want to convert the 2JZ to manual. As it's going into a carlton a custom prop and mounts is a given, but what box do I need and how much will it set me back?? Anything else I would be made aware of?

2: Wiring, I am pretty good with electrics but I still hate doing it! On a Vauxhall the engine has it's own independant loom which onto joins to the chassis loom for power and instrumentation readouts. Is this the case for the 2JZ or is the loom fully integrated??

2a: I hear the 2JZ's ECU isn't mappable and is best off being replaced for big power, if the loom IS fully integrated would you recommend I jump straight to aftermarket programmable management??

3: Tuning!! Its a JDM import so it's got the ceramic turbos. Currently its got an exhaust, filter and a fuel cut defenser. Rolling roaded at just shy of 400bhp. How much punishment will the turbo's take before needing to be replaced??

I think that covers the basics, I hope you guys can help.

If there is anything else I should know about these engines or the conversion itself just let me know