Thread: 7m head gasket
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2011, 10:03 PM   #18
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

If you're inclined to ignore the directions of the manufacturer of the fastener then at least look up and follow the industry specs for said fastener when used with those same materials. I believe the spec for the MKIII headbolt size is about or just under 80ft lbs for an elastic application... then you allow for the expansion of the materials it is joining as the engine heat cycles (remember, aluminum expands more rapidly than steel) putting us back down to about 75. It's not just about what the fastener can withstand either, these heads are not as beefy as people seem to think and they're not the best alloy available today. They've got well over 20 years of stress making things even worse. These same rules apply to studs.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote