View Single Post
Old 11-20-2011, 11:08 PM   #10
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by icey756 View Post
Also I dont have a torque wrench. I plan on getting one next week but the think is the one im looking at is 20-150 foot pounds. So the lowest i could get in inch pounds is 240. I really dont have the money 2 of them and besides that, the lowest one they have only goes down to 20 inch pounds

When selecting a torque wrench for a given job you are best choosing one where the desired torque falls within the middle 50-60% of the wrench's scale for the best accuracy. Leave a 20 to 25% margin on the top and bottom as most types of wrenches are not terribly accurate at the end of their scope. A beam type is easily one of the most consistent and accurate and calibration is a one second affair. Whatever type you get make sure to always zero it out (or set to whatever the lowest setting is) before storing. Periodic testing and calibration is recommended for anything other than a beam type wrench (You can use a beam type to test the others yourself. ).

You can extend the range of a torque wrench with a multiplier. This is an extension of sorts for the torque wrench. The basics of it are if you add an extension which doubles the length of the wrench it doubles the wrench's capacity (so you then double the reading on the scale.... for 20ft lbs you'd only aim for 10ft lbs).
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote