View Single Post
Old 11-04-2011, 08:19 PM   #2
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

The MAFT-Pro is indeed a very good and flexible unit. It can however be difficult for the novice to setup and finding COMPETENT, local support may prove equally difficult. For a while I was the only person in my state who was installing them. I eventually stopped because I was sick of cleaning up what other shops had totally f'd up and it's hard to pay them a visit and educate them when the car was shipped to you from across the state.

The MAFT-Pro isn't without it's peculiarities. The Toyota TCCS type ECUs have some issues which need to be worked around. Some of the solutions I have posted on one of my servers and linked to in a number of threads, a little digging will find you the link. Other solutions I had been trying to work out with Bob (the developer) but I stopped working on cars altogether shortly thereafter (except my own and those of friends, naturally)... It was just a side job. One issue which I worked out a not entirely convenient solution for is that the TCCS adds a percentage of fuel to the entire fuel map depending on whether the car was started cold or warm.... odd. So, I added a momentary switch which would add a certain amount of resistance to the coolant temp sensor circuit always making the ECU believe the car was being started cold. You had to hold the switch for about 5 seconds once you started the engine. I only figured out this issue at the end, so my car and one up North were the only two I installed it in.... it fixed a lot of tuning confusion. Bob was gathering information to see if it was something the MAFT Pro could be programmed to handle with one of the auxiliary channels but I don't know that anything ever came of it. If I decide to install a MAFT Pro in my MR-2 in order to convert to E-85 I'll probably look into it further.... possibly using a timed relay this time. It is actually an issue with other piggybacks but seems to be the most obvious with the MAFT Gen II and MAFT Pro (probably because they're the most likely to be installed along with an on-board wide band). If you don't install a work around for this issue you would be wise to only tune when the car has been started cold; Once you restart the engine and it's warm the fuel map shifts.

Overall it's a very nice system if you can get through the initial setup. Tuning, once the base parameters are set, isn't much different than with simpler piggybacks and it's very nice to have ignition control, timing control and fuel control all in one unit and monitored by just one program on your laptop (much like a standalone). For ease of install one of the more popular standalone units is what I'm more inclined to recommend; As you won't be fighting with the limitations of two different computers. From a budget minded point of view the MAFT-Pro is not to be ignored.

Before anyone asks; No, I do not offer support for it. They've a good website, I've posted a lot about it already (here and on SM), they have a broad user base over on SM) and I've posted my wiring diagrams and tips on my website.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote