View Single Post
Old 10-24-2011, 07:45 PM   #2
interested!
3" Exhaust

interested! is on a distinguished road
Exclamation front brakes locked up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SURFERDAVE View Post
I got my 88t back on the road after a couple of years on blocks. Replaced rusted brake lines, pulled apart and cleaned the calipers, replaced the pads and fluid. Drove the car for a weeks but the brakes didnt feel right. Bled them again, and again then went into a lot and slammed them on. The fronts locked up and stayed locked even though I took my foot off the pedal. I had to rock my car back and forth to release them to get home. Now they stay engaged when I press them. Any ideas? I was going to buy a caliper rebuild kit for my OEM calipers. I am not going to buy a big dollar brake set up, but was wondering if the calipers are the problem or if it is something else and do the OEM calipers rank with the middle of the road calipers from say an Auto Zone. It will be easier to swap out the calipers but I will be giving up my oems as a core. not sure how good the OEMS are.Thanks again
Hi! generally, if the wheel wont turn , the caliper is sticking , if you intend overhauling , beware of pitting corrosion in the piston at the seal rub area.
Any deep pitting will allow the fluid to weep/leak under pressure .
Tip; before removing brake pipe from the caliper , fill the reservoir to the brim , cover with several folded patches of cling-film and hold in place with a tight fitting strong rubber band, this will act as a pipette , the lack of space will create a vacuum stopping the system from draining out ,so only the removed items will hopefully need bleeding at re-assembly .Edit: remember to remove the patch when bleeding .

Last edited by interested!; 10-24-2011 at 07:51 PM.
interested! is offline   Reply With Quote