View Single Post
Old 10-06-2011, 07:49 PM   #19
carl johansson
3" Exhaust

carl johansson is on a distinguished road
Default excess vibrations? why? how?

I'm not sure what would be the issue causing this vibration many of you speak of. Most vehicles have one piece drive shafts, and do not suffer from excessive vibration, so I am wondering what is it specifically that makes the Supra more prone to vibratioin, so much so that engineers went to a 2 piece drive shaft to reduce the vibration - which in actuality would not eliminate the source of the vibration, just mask it.

So I guess I am, looking for more than -" well it vibrates more!"

We have no problem with the 2 piece, other than excessive maintanence costs, and more "complexity" which typically ends up being less reliable.

We never plan on changing a drive shaft or U joints at a race, but you never know - and seeing as how you spend alot of money to prep a car, and alot more money to get to the race, once you are there, you want to maximize your racing dollar. Our primary goal is always to finish the 15 - 18 hours of racing - still running! (even though this is "cheap racing" a weekend of racing costs us about 2500 bucks, entry, tires 75 - 100 gallons of fuel , hotels etc, not including transportation to and from the track, and not including the car prep, which typically is 2 - 3 K after all of the safety stuff you have to have, and all of the systems you have to repair)
So we figure if we went with a 1 piece, it would change out easier in an emergency, the Ujoints could be changed in 15 minutes at the track, instead of finding someone to press those things out and screw with the carrier bearing!

I plan on having the one piece professionally built, and balanced, Don't know if that would eliminate some of the "vibrations" many of you speak of.

Anyone know or have an idea why the one piece is creating the reported vibrations (other than a misfit drive shaft, bad ujoints, or incorrect installation?

Rana, Google up 24 hours of LeMons to see the kind of racing we do!
in our opinion the supra is pretty well suited for this race series!

87 hilux, just saw your response - most is accurate, but the races are on road tracks, so 2 - 3.5 miles long, left, right, up down, we run on some of the best tracks in the country. We will be running at Infineon in 2 weeks, same course as the NasCar boys, with some added pieces those nascar guys whine about (so no carousel for them - cause they wear ballerina tutus!)
we often hit speeds of 120 - 130 at the end of the longest straights, followed by panic breaking down to 35 mph to make the next corner. We shift 20 - 35 times per lap, so you better know how to heal and toe!

Good place to learn to become a road racer, great place to have fun!

Carl Johansson

Last edited by carl johansson; 10-06-2011 at 08:00 PM.
carl johansson is offline   Reply With Quote