View Single Post
Old 10-06-2011, 01:00 AM   #4
87hilux7mge
walbro fp

87hilux7mge is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91ma70 View Post
The 3vze (toy 3.0l v6) was outsourced? where did u get that from? i had a 92 4runner before my supra with 315k miles when i sold it (head gaskets/ used heads) and the current owner runs it with no problems.
yep, designed for them by isuzu (if i recall correctly) and certain parts were outsourced to them and germany. need to find the articles again.

im not saying there hasnt been good ones. ive seen a few go 300k plus, but usually not without some serious maintenance. unlike the R, M, G, UZ, and F engines by toyota, among others, which usually require no major repairs b4 300k (save the 7m, due to the HG material change and tq value overlook) as long as they are cared for. even thrashed ones hold up quite well.

i personally wouldnt trust a 3vz as far as i could kick it. i havent had good luck with them at all. every time i even thought about pushing it hard or doing anything out of normal driving, it would break down. and when i actually did get a chance to push it; fantastic explosion. this was a stock motor, well maintained.

and frankly i dont think replacing headgaskets is part of "general maintenance" if you drive the car right. they also have horribly small oil passages and several 90* bends that do not help oil delivery.

may not be what everyone thinks, but ive had enough and dealt with enough to make my decision final: i will never own another one and wouldnt recommend one.