View Single Post
Old 10-04-2011, 09:02 PM   #12
carl johansson
3" Exhaust

carl johansson is on a distinguished road

ranma,
I take offense to your characterization of me, and your suppositions .

I do not drift any cars. not my bag. I do though race cars, in my opinion the most noble thing you can do with a car. if i wanted to never break a car, I would put it in my living room and polish it up every day, and never drive it. Instead I choose to use my supras, we have 3 of them right now, all 3 were rescued from the car crusher, 2 are now running race cars, the 3rd is used for a parts car. i do usev my cars and trucks as tools, They are for me to have fun in, as well as for me to use for work.
breaking a car is not destroying it, all cars ever built break down and require replacement parts!

I drive over 50K miles per year, 20 K of that in a toyota 4runner decked out for 4 wheeling - which for me is not a hobby, but a tool, as i spend 4 months of the year surveying abandoned mines here in the west. That requires many miles of offroad driving - not for fun! If that vehicle breaks I'm in for 20 - 50 miles of hiking to get out, unless I find help. So I do know how to maintain my vehicles, and get the most out of them. There are not alot of other people who can claim 135 hours of road racing without a single breakdown! We can!

I am glad you hasve never had Ujoints go out - congratulations - that must be some sort of record! QUOTE=Ranma;98485]Well Carl is into drifting and it destroys cars. I have oh 35 years of driving experience in all type of cars and can not remember having the u joints of any of my cars go out. This includes some high millage "heart breaks of America". My Fire Chicken had 220,000 miles on it when I finally sold it. I bought it new and one of my fondest memories is the slight of it driving toward Mexico.
As for restoring my Mk III, it is costing me a lot of money. It was not a question of replacing pieces of it but entire systems. Replaced the exhaust system from the head to the diffuser. Rebuilt the engine block, replaced the steering, replaced the drive shaft, rebuilt the differential and axles. The little jerk had overheated the engine cracking the head and blew out the cat. That destroyed the exhaust. After I am done will be a sweat ride *grins* He is in the pain barn and we found new trim pieces.
My point is it is better to spend a little extra upfront to avoid paying over and over.

[/QUOTE]
carl johansson is offline   Reply With Quote