View Single Post
Old 09-17-2011, 07:30 PM   #6
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmman2011 View Post
I have a stand alone and a fuel managment running pushed 690 to the rear wheels running large t5 plus a 150shot of nos to pass the spool.
Why on Earth would you run a stand alone EMS AND a fuel controller?

Jay, it depends on what you're looking for in the end. While a basic fuel controller will do what you need it doesn't offer the fine control over other functions such as ignition timing or boost control but most do however have a lot of support (DIY and via performance shops) and generally have a small learning curve.

I really like the complete control offered by stand alone EMS's but they have much steeper learning curves, you have to tweak most settings if you want to get the most out of it (a basic preprogrammed setup file from someone else's car won't be fine tuned for yours and you'll lose potential power) The hardware is much more expensive and it's typically more expensive if you end up having a shop tune it than a more basic fuel controller. An additional benefit is the ability to install a different type of air flow meter... something less restrictive like a large GM MAF or something with no restriction such as a MAP/IAT (aka speed/density) setup; The MAFT Pro does this as well.

The MAFT Pro is a nice middle ground between the two.... It offers an obscene amount of control but still piggybacks to the stock TCCS. It costs half of what you can expect to pay for a stand alone too... BUT it has a steep learning curve and getting it to play completely nice with the TCCS can be trying at times. It offers wide band controller integration and timing and boost control which bring it to the level of stand alone functionality. I don't however recommend this system for newbies and shop support is spotty at best in most areas. As mentioned previously this system also allows you to use different types of air flow metering setups.

If you're planning on doing it yourself and have no tuning experience I'd have to recommend starting with a SAFC II or Neo and later sell it off and upgrade after you've got more experience. Don't forget you'll also need a wide band O2 sensor; I recommend the Innovate Motorsports LC-1.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote