View Single Post
Old 09-06-2011, 06:28 AM   #8
winnas13
Stock

winnas13 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwpanas View Post
11.5psi is the oem boost spec.

If you raise your boost, it depends on the octane of fuel that you run. With an otherwise-bone-stock* 2jz-gte, running 93 octane gasoline (calculated via (R+M)/2) you should never exceed 16psi. If you do so, your engine will be damaged in direct proportion to the amount you exceed this limit. For example, at 17-19psi, your 2jz-gte may survive for several years, but your compression numbers (and horsepower) will decrease gradually. Regularly hitting 20psi and above on 93 octane fuel, your 2jz-gte will likely die within months or even weeks. Keep it at 14 or 15 psi and your 2jz-gte should last just fine. When you want to 'play hard', fill the tank (don't mix) with 100+ motor octane unleaded race fuel, and feel free to boost to about 21 psi safely (ideally you'd monitor the oem knock sensors to find the exact limit).
Disclaimer1: all this assumes proper maintenance (eg. keeping your fuel filter changed, your cooling system regularly flushed, regular synthetic oil changes, etc., etc.).
Disclaimer2: Temperature and atmospheric density are also factors. High boost on very hot days is more likely to produce detonation. Near sea level the atmosphere is more dense, so cylinder pressures may be higher...which may be more likely to promote detonation, everything else being equal.

*When I say otherwise-bone-stock, I'm primarily referring to the timing and fuel curves in the oem ecu. In general, I mean no modifications other than those specified by "BPU" (with as many plusses "+" as you want that do not affect the oem fuel and timing curves). Anything that affects these curves (eg. a 'piggyback' ecu (eg. PHR MAP ECU II) or 'standalone' ecu (eg. AEM)), your max boost with any specific octane of fuel will depend on the (extensive) tuning required to properly configure these devices.
Oh nice... I run it on 98 octane every tank. So basically what your saying is, i could run my supra at 14 or 15 psi, (on 98 octane) and it should be fine?

How do i change the PSI? Boost controller install? (real newbie)

EDIT: My boost gauge looks like this

By phuzion123 at 2011-09-06

- Am i right to say that if when i gun it, and the boost gauge shoots upto 1.0 that i am running around 14 psi?

Thanks

Last edited by winnas13; 09-06-2011 at 08:17 AM.
winnas13 is offline   Reply With Quote