View Single Post
Old 09-04-2011, 10:55 PM   #7
boosted to 26psi
Stock

boosted to 26psi is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre View Post
I'm having some trouble understanding you. Are you actually asking why they would use a direct ignition system on the 7M-GTE? Direct ignition systems run more efficiently, provide better spark and offer a much greater degree of control to the TCCS... But they're expensive so Toyota only offered them with the higher end model... go figure. Sadly, back when this system was built it wasn't refined enough to make a significant "real world" difference sooooo.... How about we stick with the "just for the hell of it" reasoning?

Toyota's always screwed around with the various configurations of the Supra. There were significant differences between GE and GTE in the MKIV too. There were MKIII models which used MAP versus VAFM or KVAFM.... The Supra was always both a testbed and showcase for newer technologies.

I wouldn't consider downgrading the ignition though... aside from losing some small degree of performance and the electronic modifications which will be required you're going to have a very bad time getting the dizzy and plug wires to fit; The intake is in the way.
So where's the best but cheapest place to get a replacement coil....also ia the mass airflow sensor necessary. How to bypass that, what part are interchangeable, how do I tell if I have thw 7m-gte engine harness an ecu.
boosted to 26psi is offline   Reply With Quote