View Single Post
Old 09-04-2011, 07:05 PM   #6
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

I'm having some trouble understanding you. Are you actually asking why they would use a direct ignition system on the 7M-GTE? Direct ignition systems run more efficiently, provide better spark and offer a much greater degree of control to the TCCS... But they're expensive so Toyota only offered them with the higher end model... go figure. Sadly, back when this system was built it wasn't refined enough to make a significant "real world" difference sooooo.... How about we stick with the "just for the hell of it" reasoning?

Toyota's always screwed around with the various configurations of the Supra. There were significant differences between GE and GTE in the MKIV too. There were MKIII models which used MAP versus VAFM or KVAFM.... The Supra was always both a testbed and showcase for newer technologies.

I wouldn't consider downgrading the ignition though... aside from losing some small degree of performance and the electronic modifications which will be required you're going to have a very bad time getting the dizzy and plug wires to fit; The intake is in the way.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote