View Single Post
Old 09-04-2011, 08:08 AM   #2
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

5W-30 Pennzoil Platinum is what I ran in the MKIII.

20W-50's pretty heavy; While it's not out of the question there are a number of factors you should consider. Keep in mind that ambient temp has little affect on the selection of oil weight.. Once warmed up your oil is going to be 180+ degrees regardless of whether you're driving in 110 degree weather or 60 (It would be more of a factor for a N/A which has no oil cooler.... I'd recommend upgrading yours though). I probably wouldn't run thicker than a 40wt and the cold weight is going to be of little matter to you but you probably want 10W or 20W.

Whatever you choose, get it analyzed by Blackstone Labs or similar at your next oil change and that will help you determine if a different weight may be better suited to your needs.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote