View Single Post
Old 09-02-2011, 07:11 AM   #4
winnas13
Stock

winnas13 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwpanas View Post
There's more load on the engine in higher gears, which means you're asking the turbos to work harder. 105K km is very low for a '93...are you sure that's the correct mileage on the engine and especially the turbos?

Also, maybe a dumb question but by any chance does the rpm needle go up without speed increasing?

If you could post a youtube vid with sound, that would be great. Hopefully it doesn't sound like this:
http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/dea...eath_whine.wav
You know what, i think when this happens the RPM needle might keep going up without speed increasing, or very little speed increase. Is that bad??, ill check that out. Nah it doesnt sound like that one... The best word to describe the noise is kind of a stutter? maybe sounds a tiny bit like that clip but it's not a loud noise. Yeah 105,000 km is correct as far as i know. Car was imported from Japan 4 years ago at 81,000. I have the paperwork to prove that, and it's had 1 owner here in South Australia since then. ODO says 105 too. Owned by a female uni student so wasn't driven a lot.

Ill go for a quick spin tonight and check it out. The supra is off road at the moment because one of the rear wheel bearings has gone so im trying not to drive it too much till next week when it's fixed.

One other thing that may be of interest, It only seems to do it if i put the foot down in 2nd, keep foot down till 6.5k revs or higher then change to 3rd and put foot back flat. If i gun it in 2nd, change at about 5.5k then flat in 3rd it seems to pull nicely. Is it possible for the turbos to not be able to spool fast enough with the gear change and just fail?

Ill try to set my iPhone to record and then go through the gears, It doesnt do it every time, just sometimes.

Thanks for ur help.

Last edited by winnas13; 09-02-2011 at 07:17 AM.
winnas13 is offline   Reply With Quote