View Single Post
Old 08-28-2011, 06:14 AM   #4
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

If the pistons are GE you can count on things going south sooner than later (unless he put in a THICK HG)... N/A pistons like to "self ventilate" under boost... additional heat + much higher compression (especially if a stock thickness HG is used even after the block and head were shaved) + medium quality, basic alloy + no cooling from oil squirters = detonation = holes in pistons.... plenty of people have "done it right" before this guy, trust me.

IF the oil cooling is in place and either a thick HG 2mm+ or GTE pistons were installed I'd probably give it a thumbs up for a reasonable amount of upgrading and such; Still no oil squirters to cool the pistons is a negative but not as big.

Any idea what oil pump is in there?

You'd also do well to swap out the GE intake cam for a GTE cam; The GTE breathes better up top.

It'll last a little while (more if you get a proper oil cooler setup in there and no one gets the silly idea that "it'll be ok to turn up the boost just for the weekend". And thereafter you'll have a decent parts car... So I guess it's win - win; But don't get your hopes up that it's going to last for a long period of time... most N/A-Ts fail miserably and there's a reason why most people who've done them will say that they will never do another if a factory turbo option is available.

That said I'll get down off this soap box now. Good luck with the car... I'm sure he'll enjoy it.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote