Old 08-14-2011, 01:45 AM   #2
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnas13 View Post
Hey guys, first time user!

Okay so i bought my first supra today, 1994 - 104,000km - twin turbo - 6spd

Imported from Japan to Australia at 81,000km and has had 1 female owner in Aust for the last 4 yrs.

This is also the first time i have driven a supra. There are a few noises that i am thinking aren't healthy.

Firstly, when sitting at traffic lights etc, and the car is in idle, there is a rattle noise coming from what i believe is the gearbox. It goes away completely when i stick the clutch in... Any ideas what would be causing this would be great. I think it gets worse when a/c is on. Not too sure yet though.

Secondly, sometimes when taking off in 1st gear, there is a kind of grinding noise....thats the best word i can think of to describe it... coming from the gearbox too i think..

Thanks a lot!
If the Mkiv TT is bone-stock, then the gearbox noise is from a worn out (broken internal arc springs) dual-mass oem flywheel. It really doesn't hurt anything, but the noise can be a bit annoying. Before you go ordering a new 20kg+ oem flywheel, please note that an aftermarket lightweight (single-mass) flywheel is also an option. You'll notice better performance with a lighter flywheel, but the rattling noise will be similar. In fact, this same noise is very common in upgraded Mkiv's...it's really nothing to worry about. Many folks that are running this fluid instead of the oem Dexron II say it also quietens the gear noise somewhat:
http://www.royalpurple.com/manual-tr...ion-fluid.html
...note that this fluid will not eliminate all of the sounds coming from your worn out flywheel...it only reduces the transmission noise.

Again, the noise is a very minor problem and will not cause any further damage. What you're hearing is the gears of the transmission gently 'slapping' against each other every time the engine has any tiny rpm change up or down. The V160 has proven itself to handle over 2,000hp, so trust me a little gear slap at idle from rpm changes in the engine isn't any issue at all...other than the noise of course. The springs in the dual-mass oem flywheel normally dampen these rpm changes in the engine, which is why brand-new stock supras don't make thise noise (otherwise very few people would have purchased them, likely thinking the noise could be a significant issue). Amongst upgraded Mkiv TT 6spd owners, that rattle is a bit like a 'badge of honor'. Oh, and it even gets worse for a high horsepower Mkiv because double and triple plate clutches make yet another sound when you press in the clutch - the multiple plates rattle around!

The grinding noise I can't place for sure. Here's my first guess: With an internally-broken dual-mass oem flywheel, bits of the broken arc springs are jamming the position of the secondary flywheel section in one spot, and then when a load is being placed on the flywheel (when you're letting the clutch out), the secondary flywheel grinds through that jam position to the 'end' spot - to the now-shorter arc spring? Again, this is just a guess - if you'd like, upload a video (with sound of course) and send us a link.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.

Last edited by pwpanas; 08-14-2011 at 02:23 AM.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote