View Single Post
Old 08-12-2011, 07:15 PM   #10
zMrManz
Stock

zMrManz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre View Post
zMrManz:
Well, an AEM DryFlow will run you about $60. The AEM Bypass Valve will run you about.. you guessed it: $60. The AFM adapter for the AFM will run about $10 on eBay or Amazon. And you'll need to find a piece of pipe that's 2.75" dia (If I remember correctly, hopefully someone else will chime in with a measurement.) with a 90? bend in it and about 6" straight on one side or the bend and 12" coming off the other... Cost will depend where you get it, $10 or $15 give or take. So you're in for less than you'd pay for an Apex'i Power Intake or the K&N FIPK (both just filters sitting in the engine bay).

Use the bypass valve as the coupler to connect the pipe's 12" leg to the AFM, put the pipe through the hole the stock airbox breathed through so it points down. Pull off the fog light, install the filter, put the fog light back in and tighten everything down. If any of the piping is too long then cut as needed; It's not going to be seeing any boost so loosing a rolled bead isn't going to hurt anything (and clean out any metal shavings/dust thoroughly before final assembly and mounting).

I'd buy the adapter plate first so you know what size to get for everything else... anything over 3" and you'll be doing some cutting. All of the MKIII's I've installed full intakes for didn't use the AFM and ran 3" or larger piping... sorry I can't be of more help there.

I STRONGLY recommend you put some rubber between the pipe and the lip of the opening. I've seen piping get cut through creating a nice large turbo killing sliver of aluminum; Since seeing that I usually take some fuel line and cut it lengthwise and glue it to that lip first.

This actually looks like a pretty good option. I'm gonna try this out once I come across some money. Also doing all of that doesn't seem to hard, even for somebody that's new to cars like my self. Once I get it all install I'll take some pics and post them up for you guys to see.