View Single Post
Old 08-12-2011, 03:32 AM   #7
MJG
3" Exhaust

MJG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Definitely not a preferred setup. While BARELY a step above just tossing a filter on the end of the AFM and leaving it open to the engine bay you're still leaving it open to the engine bay heat while the vehicle is at rest when the worst heat soak occurs. Depending on the number of bends and their angle you're probably not seeing any benefit that you would see by simply removing the passenger side fog light and forgetting the duct.
I will not disagree with your opinion of a preferred setup. Having said that, it is not as bad of an option as you paint it, depending on the use of your Supra.
I should have been more specific.
85% of my Supra driving is highway. Granted, my setup is greatly affected by heat soak. What system is not? Placing the filter under the headlight will still leave your intake tubing exposed to heat soak.
I do not use my Supra as a daily driver. Road trips are the common use.
I have a translator Pro with speed density and monitor the intake temp as one of four values.
Around town, depending on ambient temp, the intake temp will rise at stop lights, big time. In contrast, freeway driving with 91 degree F ambient temp, climbing snoqualmie pass @ 70MPH, I had an intake temp of 72 degree F.
The system I have is not for everyone. It sure works for my application.
MJG is offline   Reply With Quote