View Single Post
Old 12-03-2004, 11:57 PM   #7
extendor
Stock

extendor is on a distinguished road

I have spent the last few hours really thinking about this.
The car was ready for a new timing belt and had slooshing water noises behind the dash. I sent it into the shop for a new timing belt, water pump check and to check the thermostat and drill a venting hole in the thermostat if needed.
The first thing the shop did was a test on HG reported HG=OK. On that basis they did the belt and thermostat and refilled with new coolant mix. I dont know if they burped the system with the nose raised but I did mention this to them beforehand.

Within a mile of starting (warm start) the temp started to climb too fast and too high and I stopped as soon as was safe.

This all begs the question of how did the air get into the system in the first place so I heard the slooshing sound. Could it have been sucked back from the expansion tank? Is the HG blown even if the shop says otherwise.

Why would the engine overheat. The shop said they had a long test drive prior to me taking it away. I drove steadily for two minutes and nearly cooked it. The danger is that I got it too hot and have destroyed the HG and/or twisted the head. Bloody Hell.

When the car was back at the shop the car showed no signs of overheating and behaved normally.

I am wondering if I should just bite the bullet and put in a new HG. Do I have any arguement with the shop. I have used the car for about 10 days (200 miles since purchase) and not lost any coolant during that time. I really think the HG was OK.

Thats about all I can add for now. Any thoughts would be useful so many thanks in advance.
extendor is offline   Reply With Quote