View Single Post
Old 06-10-2011, 09:03 AM   #12
87hilux7mge
walbro fp

87hilux7mge is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by interested! View Post
Hi!
The harmonic balancer is the rubber centred pulley at the front of the crankshaft and this thing drives all of the accessories ( alternater, water pump etc. , The reason it is rubber centred ( the pulley part is not directly connected to the crankshaft ) is because , unlike the 4 cylinder engine, the 6 cylinder in-line engine creates it's own self destruct vibrations at high engine revolutions and fitting a solid pulley would not dampen these unwanted vibrations and the engine starts vibrating at high RPM usually resulting in early engine failure , usually a sheared crankshaft.
Judging by the number of threads complaining of theirs coming loose , I would say they are essential and need to be monitered for tightness on the crankshaft.
This is what they taught me at college , many ,many moons ago!
thanks interested!, im aware of what a harmonic balancer does now and your input was helpful.

i still leave this open for anyone wanting to build a race motor, and still stand by the fact that my freind john has been running one for 3+ years with no problems, and just recently switched to this new pulley, which strangely enough, gained him a few HP over the OBX crank pulley....

anyway, i was looking to see if anyone else makes a Fluidamper for our engines, and unfortunately i cant find one. id pay some decent coin for one, as there are several tests that have shown the advantages in fluidamper's vs. rubber ring harmonic balancers.