View Single Post
Old 05-24-2011, 01:54 PM   #5
interested!
3" Exhaust

interested! is on a distinguished road
Smile water light wont go out

Quote:
Originally Posted by illusive38 View Post
I have an '87 mk3 turbo with a new (As of January) Japan-amoter. I recently was having over heating probs and blew the radiator. (A crack in the fill spout.) So I put on a new brass, all metal, radiator and water pump. The problem now is that it won't return the water to the radiator from the overflow. So I am still losing water.
I noticed extreme amounts of Leak seal in the last radiator. I attempted to flush the engine prior to replacement. There seams to be no clog in the return lines and I can blow the water back into the radiator when applying pressure backwards through the overflow. (With my mouth) The pressure is strong when hot and no leaks are apparent. I find no oil in the water or water in the oil. The cap that came with the radiator is a 16 pounder. The car exceeds stock specs for speed and power, 0-60 etc....so I know the motor is strong. The turbo is up to about 12psi. Everything is strong.
Frankly, I'm stumped. I just want it reliable so I can get on with more speed, power and handling related issues.
Oh, and the water light is continuously on.
Hi!
After filling my cooling system with new anti-freeze mixture I noted that the water light came on and stayed on after starting ,this is because there was an air lock at the thermostat housing and the sender was not reading that there was water in the system ,--strange? as I had just filled it up! showing full in the radiator.
The answer was to make sure that the bleed hole was at the at the top of the thermostat - move the water through the bleed hole by squeezing the top hose several times with the cap removed to remove any bubbles and note the water level in the radiater go down slightly , and also that the wire to the sender is working properly -earth it out and see if the light goes out?, all cured after a short investigation.
Light on? no water at that point!
interested! is offline   Reply With Quote