View Single Post
Old 05-23-2011, 10:18 PM   #12
El Supracabras
3" Exhaust

El Supracabras is on a distinguished road

Should be on the trans wherever the shifter linkage is. Follow the cable. Never had a problem w/ one on a supra but pretty sure its easy enough to get at with the car jacked up off the ground. Wire colors are on the schematic provided by btwilson86 earlier. Your manual should have a decent enough explanation of how to test it.
I would suggest to check for voltage at the starter solenoid first while someone else turns the key to start. This will eliminate the starter as the problem w/o having to remove it. If there is adequate voltage there, the starter may be defective and would need further testing. If no voltage there, move back to the neutral switch check for voltage going into the switch,
if no voltage there, move back to the relay check for voltage at the relay, then the ignition switch etc. etc. follow the schematic backwards from the starter to the battery.
When you find a component (that is in the correct position to) receiving voltage but NOT letting it out and you are sure you have checked it properly, you have found a problem. Repair it and check again. If you find voltage going in AND coming out properly but not making it to the next component down the line you have found a bad wire. Locate,repair and check again.
The theft deterrent system opens the ground to the starter relay. If you still think it is the problem you can bypass it completely by cutting the ground wire from the relay and grounding the relay straight to the chassis. This removes the starter cut out from the system completely (watch where you park).

Boy, how many posts do I need to make to not be stock on my avitard anymore? Go into it armed with the right info and attitude and you will driving it again in no time. Happy headaches!
El Supracabras is offline   Reply With Quote