Thread: performance
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2011, 03:28 AM   #7
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

AFAIK, the JZ series was the first to see production use of hypereutectic alloy... the JZ pistons aren't an uncommon upgrade for a number of earlier Toyota blocks (including the 7M) for this very reason.

Here's a thread where they recommend just that (from SF ): http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...tectic-Pistons

For those who want to know more though:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypereutectic_piston

EDIT:

So, do you have a link to the aforementioned article?

The KVAFM is actually a very good and accurate system.

Back to the original discussion though, over 12psi on a stock CT-26 isn't advisable. Beyond 13 or 14psi (ambient conditions always a consideration) the CT-26 isn't efficient and tends to blow hot to the point that you may actually lose power and you significantly increase the risk of damage from detonation; The compressor isn't large enough to provide a cool charge at that volume.

EDIT2:

I'm still looking.. Looks to me like the JZ series and UZ series were the first blessed with this hardware from what I can find. I suspect that if Toyota were using it earlier it would have been in their race engines; This includes limited "not for market" 7Ms: see: 1988 Group A Supra (not to be confused with the Turbo A model which was sold to the JDM in a quantity of only 500).

This has taught me more about the process and it's effects than I had ever planned on knowing. I think I'm done looking now... if you find that article or anything else I'd like to see it.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->

Last edited by cre; 05-12-2011 at 07:58 AM.
cre is offline   Reply With Quote