View Single Post
Old 05-07-2011, 10:39 AM   #20
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by warmkop View Post
how good is the standard intercooler and at power should it be changed.
should i install a bigger oil cooler
The oem intercooler is fine for many applications (eg. roadracing). It's side-mount design means that it doesn't pre-heat air going to the radiator. For 500rwhp and roadracing, it may be near optimal. For 800+rwhp and drag racing, it's probably not. Anything in the middle is probably arguable...especially if you find a way to take care of its one weakness - the plastic end tanks. At high boost and high heat, the end tanks can pop out from the metal fingers that hold them on. To solve this, you can wrap a metal cinch strap around the intercooler and end tanks to help keep things together. If you can find it, at one time GReddy made an all-metal side-mount intercooler oem replacement.

You should only install a bigger oil cooler if you're going to be roadracing at 700rwhp+, imho.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote