Old 04-04-2011, 03:13 AM   #36
rjSupra
3" Exhaust

rjSupra is on a distinguished road
Default stupid car did it to me again, no start #4 - cranks all day, won't run

- new batt (few months old)
- full gas tank 94 Octane from 5 days ago
- TPS set correctly
- just set ignition timing correct to 11 degrees (10 was rough) with gun and jumpered correctly terminals
- ignition coils wiring all looks good secure
- FP to B+ I can hear fuel rushing into throttle body area
- Alt. good, it re-charged drained new batt in 30 minutes (see below).

it did just start and idled immediately at 600 rpms in 40 degree F weather. I put it in 'R' and gassed it down slightest incline (to see if all the AT work fixed it not really able to move when cold). Drove back 30 yards fine and with some pep. Put it in 'D' to drive back up slight incline and gave it 1/4 - 1/3 throttle and it bogged down and died.

Won't start now at all. cranks and cranks. sometimes almost acts like it's going to with going up and down on the throttle but no go. (no throttle now it's not close to starting). First time it did start no throttle.

Frustrated, need to go. I experiment. Waiting several minutes and not cranking more than 15 sec mostly.
FP - B+ for a minute. Then try, crank, no start.
FP - B+ while I crank with hearing fuel rushing, no start.
Then I pull the EFI 15a fuse just in case there is some stupid computer error that needs to re-set. Put back in, nothing.
Pulled neg batt terminal off, will give it 30 min and re-try.

This car pulled this stunt after sitting for 3 hours last week. I'd try, wait, try... for 8 hours until I gave up with dead batt. Got ride back next day with truck and jumped it and it started 2nd try. Then batt charged in 30 minutes so it could easily re-start itself. Re-started it 5 - 6 times no problem over next few days.
4th time this happened in cold(er) weather. Never happened in warm, but did not drive it that much this past fall. Only thing I did that last time was take neg batt terminal off over night. So trying that now - yeah I know, it won't work, but what the hell.
I can hear relay click in car passenger side, and my TEMS activate or something like that. Ignition coil and igniter wires look hooked up solidly and ok. Spark plugs look ok 3000 miles ago.
Had cleared my engine error codes and not been back after driving 40 miles and 4 starts (originally O2 sensor and ignition coil / igniter error codes up).
This a.m. to last re-check error codes I suddenly have a '24' I never had before and have not driven the car since it was last cleared. '24' is 'Intake air temp sensor signal' - I did just pull that connector to check it with ohm / volt meter the other day, and thanks Toyota for putting the pins mounted upside down so I could not get probes into it while actually seeing what I was touching. Re-hooked it back up, at least the connector looked clean. It might have idled a few times after I was setting the ignition timing after all the codes were clear.
Also, just tried the re-start after batt neg term back. No start.
Just swapped igniter (had extra one that came with car). No start. Sort of almost but sort of doesn't count.
Don't know what to do. My only car and I have to work. This is now Dr Jekyl and Mr. Car. Surprise! Who you gonna get today?