View Single Post
Old 04-01-2011, 05:07 AM   #5
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1 View Post
If i used like 800 grit, then 1200 grit, then about 1400 grit wet sand on a flat sanding block could i get the finish on th block im looking for?
NO... or, I'll put it another way... NO.

JB Weld is not made (specifically) for repairing block decks... if it needs to be filled (which it sounds like it does) you need to use the right materials, especially if it's that close to a coolant passage. The name of the stuff I've seen used escapes me now... If I think on it I'll post back. You should be able to find it via Google; It's made specifically for repairing blocks and heads and is made to handle the constant heat cycling and the expansion and contraction that comes with it.

A MHG? Forget it... I hope you give any buyer a disclaimer and list of all the corners you've cut and skimped on... they're liable to sue you in a month otherwise.

EDIT: Belzona Super Metal (No. 1111) is the favorite that I know of. It's not cheap though, but there do appear to be other products which are less expensive and still preferred over JB Weld. If you're close to the coolant passage at all (especially if the jacket on the HG is likely to overlap the repaired portion) I would definitely not use JB. A lot of people have had good luck with it, but plenty have had issues too and there are better products available.

EDIT2: I just found my old notes on this. Cat used to sell Belzona, I'm not sure if the still do. I bought a small quantity a long time ago from a local industrial supply shop but it wasn't for engine repairs. A friend of mine (another Supra owner) said he really liked Devcon... adheres better than JB Weld but is a lot less expensive than Belzona. I don't have it written down but I think you would want the Devcon Plastic Steel 10110 putty, it's steel filled unlike their Home Depot JB Weld equivalent.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->

Last edited by cre; 04-01-2011 at 06:14 AM.
cre is offline   Reply With Quote