View Single Post
Old 04-01-2011, 12:46 AM   #4
Rob1
3" Exhaust

Rob1 is on a distinguished road

well im on a strick budget and really dont want to put alot into this thing cuz i might just sell it any way. but its still in the air, another thing is my block mating surface.

there was about a quarter inch chip only going very very shallow into the block, almost like someone tightened up the head bolt with a peice of debris in the threads and it just popped a very thin layer of metal off, its not affecting any of the commpression seals but its very close to a water jacket seal, but not on it just close.

I cant afford anothe block so i set up some JB weld to fill in the low spot and sanded it down to the surface of block.

Now i know thats not the best way to fix it but since its just around the rear intake side head blot and not affecting any crucial mating surfaces, that should be ok right?

SO that being said i cant have the block decked cuz the bad spot looks a little to deep to take off enough metal to compinsate, and with the JB weld on it it obviously cant be decked, im wanting to use a metal head gasket so i need a very smooth finish on block.

If i used like 800 grit, then 1200 grit, then about 1400 grit wet sand on a flat sanding block could i get the finish on th block im looking for?

The head has already been decked and looks like glass.