View Single Post
Old 03-31-2011, 05:25 AM   #10
cre

Toyota
Racing
Development

cre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond reputecre has a reputation beyond repute

The problem really never was the head gasket; Yes, it has changed... the rings and jackets are all about 1mm beefier and I'm sure the materials have advanced as well.... But if you really think about it the average MKIII HG lasted 15+ years.

Sure, on a clean engine with a perfect deck and head the composite could take more than that. It's a matter of longevity though. Everything breaks, some things sooner than others. I wouldn't really go more than 12psi on a daily basis for the sake of the HG either. Whether it MIGHT hold up better than a lot of other people have experienced isn't something I like to bet my own engine on; I've been bit in the ass that way a few too many times in the past.

On a related note, when prepping for a composite head gasket you do not want a "smooth as glass" surface. Unlike the MLS HG the composite does better if it has the additional surface area and 'bite'.
If something breaks or you need to contact a member of the administration please post HERE. Unless it's a private or administration matter please post it on the forum. It benefits no one else if car related questions aren't posted for future users and takes away from the time I'm able to spend helping on the rest of the forum.

If you're so inclined I'm always more than happy to accept tips via PayPal.
Tip Jar --->
cre is offline   Reply With Quote