View Single Post
Old 03-22-2011, 02:53 AM   #1
the_snuggler
Stock

the_snuggler is on a distinguished road
Default 92 7mgte problems

(sorry for the wall of text)

So here's the story. I joined the military and sold my car right before leaving for basic and AIT. While in AIT looking for a new car on craigslist I come across a 92 supra turbo. Send my mom the link for it, had her check it out test drive it and all that good stuff. Everything ran fine and she said it was a great drive and that she loved the car.

I get home about a month and a half later. Ride into town a couple of times, everything is great, all fluids are good yatta yatta. Then it just started messing up. Oil leaking but no spots on the ground or no smell of burning.

I was told that a seal could possibly be messed up on the turbo. So I took it to the dealership to have them look at it. They said I needed a new turbo and that it would run me 6 grand. So I took it down to a shop to get it rebuilt. He told me it was recently rebuilt and that the turbo was fine.

This is where it gets funked up.

We get the turbo back on and now all of sudden it dies when it's in neutral after driving it. It dies if the clutch is held in for more than 2 seconds, it chugs occasionally as if it's not getting gas when you accelerate and now it smells like oil is burning and some smoke will come out the exhaust on occasion. It idles really low (probably 400 rpm) all of a sudden and smells weird.

I took it back to toyota today and told them they were full of shit and that I just wanted the codes back because the check engine light had been on. This is what they got:
21 Oxygen sensor malfunction. 24 intake air temp sensor, 31 mass air meter malfunction, 34 turbo pressure abnormal. Removed intake air tubes and found oil inside tubes due to engine blow by. Has had oil build on spark plugs. Removed cyl #1 and 2 spark plugs to check compression. Compression 100 psi on #1 and 110 on #2. Recommend replace or rebuild engine along with spark plugs, plug wires, any and all coolant hoses, timing belt and drive belts.

They wanted to charge me 6 grand for a new engine alone. I don't know anything about cars but I know this is obvious horse shit. This is my first turbo car and I have no clue what to do or where to start. Can I please get help.

(again sorry for the wall of text)
the_snuggler is offline   Reply With Quote