View Single Post
Old 03-10-2011, 08:09 AM   #1
Mr2slow
Stock

Mr2slow is on a distinguished road
Default Looking for my first supra, convince me not to buy a mr2

I have been browsing this sight as a guest for a few days and have already found answers to alot of questions that i had. I've been doing a lot of research lately and have narrowed it down to a mkiii supra or a mk2 mr2. My first car was a 87 mr2 with swapped 4agze from an 89. This is now gone and whatever i decide to buy will be my dd. I've been looking into mkiii supras and I feel like there's always work needed to be done where as the mr2 is more reliable. Of course i understand any 20 year car needs work to be kept running right. I'm not a mechanic by any means but I'm decent with cars, I've done some minor mods on my mr2 such as aftermarket headers/ exhaust, upgraded brakes, as well as replacing some bad parts such as a blown headgasket, new fuel pump, old cracking piping etc.... I have also helped with a couple swaps one in an 88? Celica and transplanting a 13b and tranny into an rx7( which was another car I was looking into). Anyways tho the bottom line is I want an mr2 but am really leaning towards a supra( my dream car is a built mkiv , but I don't have the money and to be honest the experience to handle it) I know I keep getting off track but basically I want to know what I would be getting myself into with a supra.
I guess my questions are these;
Am I better going for turbo(which I'd prefer) or n/a?

Is one more reliable than the other?

I'm not looking for tons of power to start but would like to upgrade as time goes on while still keeping reliability. Am I better off building up slowly or saving for a swap.

What is the best/most reliable/ difficulty with each swap

Were there any major differences made between 86 and 92?

Are older supras known for any major problems other than the hg blowing?

Am I better just getting a mr2?( probably the wrong question to ask on a supra forum lol)

Thank you
Mr2slow is offline   Reply With Quote