View Single Post
Old 02-27-2011, 06:55 PM   #1
Travis89Turbo
12psi boost

Travis89Turbo is on a distinguished road
Default MKIII 1JZGTE Swap How To! Pic Heavy

Ok Guys i finally have some time to do this 1jz how to...Thanks to my hand bein broke with 3 pins in it! (long story).

Im going to walk you through this start to finish! I have put over 5k on the swap so far! I absolutly Love it!

I am did the swap in an 89 Supra Targa Turbo! I HIGHLY suggest you do the swap with a front clip.. For many reasons- You get to see the actual Mileage (well Km), You get to see how the engine and all coponents went in the car from toyota, All fluids are left in the clip so you can see the quality of the oil, antifreeze, powersteering, etc. You will also receive the stock intercooler and pipes. plus the front bumper mount is different to fit the big jz intercooler. you will also need to change the overflow bottle. the jz one is notched out for the intercooler.. needed for aftermarket IC also. Plus you get to keep the hydraulic fan which is very effiecent more so then you would think! Plus saves $$$, It runs off of the water pump.. If you want to get rid of this or bought just an engine with out all the hyd. fan you will need to buy a 2jz water pump and get an electric fan! YOU MOST CERTAINLY NEED A FAN!

Things you need to Know before attempting swap!

Harness,
The 1jzgte did not come in a LHD car. there for there is no LHD harness! The RHD harness is too short to reach the glove box! It needs to be extended 18" It is not that difficult to do but very time consuming! If you do not kno how to solder or feel comfortable with electrical PLEASE dont attemp this part. It can cause mass confusion for trouble shooting. You can send it out to get done. There is a few people on ebay that does it. But it will cost you about $800 bones. I have pics of the steps i did to extend mine! And cost me $50 and 3 days of time. But i am an experienced aircraft electrician. And i already had an adjustable soldering iron.(not needed but better for different gauge wires)

REPLACE THE CLUTCH.
Trust me on this one... i hate to admit it but i did not and within 1500 miles it went out and had to pull the motor to replace it! It is One tight fit in there!

REPLACE VALVE SEALS.
Again do as i say not as i do! These engines sit for a long time exspecially the low mileage engines. My engine started smokin at about 3000miles started slowly then the top of the valve seal came off and slid up the valve. Now this is only about a $100 job including the tools. I have pics of mine and im gonna do a separate how to for the valve seals!

REPLACE TIMING BELT AND SERP BELT.
They are cheap. So just do it. Mine were pretty bad.

Parts You WILL need to buy! I got my stuff from driftmotion

-Mk4 throttle cable.
-Mk4 powersteering hose.. jz ps pump is on the other side.
-Clutch kit with bearings
-New motor mounts. Mine on both engines were rotted out! JUST DO IT!
-If you have a Pre 89 supra you need to buy the mounts made for your chassis to a jz enigine..also avail at driftmotion. 89+ is a direct drop in.

If i remember more stuff I will Add to this list feel free to pm me if i forgot something or you think something should be added.

So to start with the pretty pictures... This is the chassis i am dropping it in.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0102 (640x383).jpg
Views:	2887
Size:	222.4 KB
ID:	3717

Name:	IMAG0168 (640x383).jpg
Views:	2644
Size:	219.7 KB
ID:	3718

And the Front clip. I got mine from JRautoparts.com Prices vary on KM. Mine only had 80,000km or roughly 48k miles (LOW)

Name:	IMAG0170 (640x383).jpg
Views:	5521
Size:	276.5 KB
ID:	3719

Name:	IMAG0217 (640x383).jpg
Views:	2520
Size:	196.3 KB
ID:	3722

Name:	IMAG0171 (640x383).jpg
Views:	3852
Size:	282.2 KB
ID:	3723

Now that you have all your parts on order its a good time to start tearing out the jz. Its actually easier to pull the motor out of the clip then it is to move the clip around. I put some mustang rims on the clip so i could move it out of the street. Everything is the same as far as pulling the motor. I suggest takin pics so you can see how it goes back together! PICS BELOW

1995 Toyota Supra SE 71k miles. Master power T70
stock 2jzge

1989 Toyota Supra. 1jzgte swap 5 speed of course..
Driftmotion 60-1 single turbo kit. Cxracing FMIC. 2jz 550cc injectors... soon to come..... EMS Stinger. BC 264 cams 680cc injectors Spec stage 4 clutch and A LOT of boost!------SOLD

1999 Ford F350 diesel

2004 Jaguar XJR Supercharged

If it hasnt broke you haven pushed it hard enough!!

Last edited by Travis89Turbo; 02-27-2011 at 10:55 PM.
Travis89Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote