View Single Post
Old 02-13-2011, 12:31 PM   #6
pwpanas
Supra Owner

pwpanas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by supraman623 View Post
okay i finally have enought money to start working on my supra. my ultimate goals are to do a 2jzgte with an r154 tranny. unfortunally i still am just shy of having enought money for complete swap altogether ie motor, tranny, wiring harness, ecu all together. i know those set ups are pulled out of the jdm toyota aristo an you have to do some modifications to the wiring harness to make it work in a usdm supra.

i do however have enough money right now to buy a 2jzgte with w58 tranny. this set up would include everything i need to get my car on the road.

i know the r154 is much stronger than the w58 so my question is if i bought this w58 set up could i use the same ecu and wiring harness and just swap the trannys when i can get the r154. im just growing extremely impatient and what to get started right away. so i was going to buy the one with the w58. drive it till the tranny blows and the simply but the r145 and replace it

can this be done???
I honestly have no idea. However, here are a few tidbits that may help:
- A manual tranny's connection to the ecu is pretty simple. I believe there's not much more than a couple of speed sensors. Contrast this with an auto where the computer actually has to shift the tranny.
- The R154 is an MKIII tranny. Maybe if you posted in the MKIII section...something like "can an R154 use W58 speed sensors?" might work.
- Most likely the R154 and W58 have different lengths...which means at the very least your driveshaft may need to change when you do the swap.
- To me, you shouldn't swap with an r154...you should swap with a v160. That way (among other things) you wouldn't need to figure out how to adapt an MKIII driveshaft to an mkiv ... or get a fully custom driveshaft done.

NB: Please consider posting any help requests in a new thread instead of asking me for help privately. About 99.9+% of the time, private help requests end up covering great information that could be very valuable to other forum members. If you have a good reason for needing the help request to be private, I'll consider it. If not, then why not give everyone else the opportunity to pitch in too, and/or learn from the information? Remember, there's no such thing as a dumb question. We're all here to help within this family of Supra owners.
pwpanas is offline   Reply With Quote