View Single Post
Old 02-01-2011, 01:43 AM   #1
superwhite
Stock

superwhite is on a distinguished road
Default Timing belt install

I installed a new timing belt and need a little help. I installed it on the crank pully then the oil pump, intake then exhaust pulley and then the tensioner. I then loosened the tensioner bolt and the spring pulled it against the belt. I then rotated the engine clockwise twice and checked all the timing marks lined up and torqued the tensioner bolt and rotated the engine twice more. I didn't check for equal tension as the manual says and I'm not sure how. Do I need to start over at step one and check the tension as mentioned in the manual? If so how? I'm gathering by the wording in the manual you loosen the bolt just enough to move the tensioner to make the tension equal but you don't let the spring put its full force on the pully, is that right? When I loosened the tensioner hold down bolt the pully kinda snaped in, in other words it wasn't like it gradually moved toward the belt. I also have no idea how to check for proper tension between the cam pulleys as mentioned in the TSRM. It sounds good but how do you do that?

Last edited by superwhite; 02-01-2011 at 08:25 AM.
superwhite is offline   Reply With Quote