View Single Post
Old 12-21-2010, 09:49 AM   #1
87hilux7mge
walbro fp

87hilux7mge is on a distinguished road
Default 7mge build with some questions.

hey everyone, new here, looking for some info/input. now, first off, no i dont own a supra anymore. used to have an 89 turbo in high school, but have since gone thru several other cars. currently i have an 87 toyota 4x4 pickup, that is what the 7mge im building is going in. these arent swap specific questions, just motor questions.

first off, ill give you a parts list so you know what im working with.

bored/honed/decked jdm block- .50mm (.020) over
PnP/milled jdm head
comp valve springs
BC 268 cams (stage 2)
adj. cam gears
NPR pistons, rings (.020) over, balanced
eagle H beam rods, balanced
polished crank, balanced
king main/rod bearings
header (hey, was free )
ATI damper
about 9.4-9.5 compression
stage 2 6 puck clutch kit

will have rebuilt w56 with 4.10's running 32" tires with a locked rear.

now i know not everyone is a fan of the GE, but please dont flame me saying i should get a turbo. ive done a crap load of research already and used the search function here and gotten some good info. the reason i dont have a turbo, is because i picked up this entire drive train originally for 100 bux (motor, tranny, harness, ecu and various other parts) not to mention a complete spare motor out of a 90 cressida, with harness, for 85 dollars.

i want to get into an EMS but i cannot find one for the GE, ive checked megasquirt and AEM and they both only offer for the GTE as ive seen.

heres where im gonna get ripped.. i have a custom supercharger setup (that i built, yes i can hear you all laughing) for my old 91 firbird formula w/ a 305. this kit can be adjusted with my pulleys to put out 5, 8 or 10 psi. i plan on putting this on the GE down the road running 5 psi to start, mounted where the AC was and running it thru an intercooler.

my question is, should i (can i rather) convert this all too GTE electronics, get the AEM ems and run it N/A till i finish fabbing the supercharger brackets, then tune it to run with the supercharger? AEM has told me they dont make an EMS for the GE, megasquirt wont pickup, email back etc.

the only other option i can think of is getting an apexi NEO, but i dont think that will allow enough tuning, especially with the cams and all. i wont be tuning for peak hp (not my style) as im an "under the curve/average hp" kinda guy. ive built quite a few engines, mostly carbed, but this is the first time ive considered an aftermarket ems, and the more advanced import build ive done.

i have about 3k into the motor so far, and can go about another 2-2.5k, but hope i wont have to do that much. if i can get the AEM ems to work with the GE electronics or even convert to GTE, i know where i can get the AEM for 500 bux. if not i can get the neo for 150 and hope for the best.

neway, hit me up with any kind of info you got, i appreciate it. and please, dont just flame me saying "go turbo!" ive decided to do the supercharger, cuz its unique and i like the power curve it gives me.

thanks!
87hilux7mge is offline   Reply With Quote